MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado guys

mixedbag

I'm looking into unit 20 for elk.not sure if I want to do a rifle or bow hunt.not asking about a spot.Interested more about what the hunting pressure and elk populations are like.Anyone with any knowledge could pm me if you don't want to post the imfo

I've hunted Unit 20 for 30+ years. It used to offer either sex tags in the beginning. It's always had late season tags that typically start the saturday after thanksgiving. Elk populations and bigger bulls especially are coming back after the CDOW pounded the population during the CWD scare. I had a Jan. tag two years ago and ended up not killing a bull. Saw an abundance of 300 class bulls and several in the 330-340 class. Nothing bigger than that. There are some very successful outfitters in the unit who continually pound the big bulls. A lot of private land in parts and a lot of private accesses to public land. If you don't have a special "in" place to go, I'd avoid the unit altogether. There are some wilderness accesses as well and that would be about the best place for archery. I think the next few years we will start seeing some really good bulls again, like we did before the CWD thing brought about higher tag allocations. Was not uncommon to see several 340+ bulls during a late season hunt. The key to this unit has been to urge the CDOW to lower tag numbers in all the hunts - which we as sportsman have done by going to meetings and voicing our opinions. It may very well be the best front range unit in the state but access is pretty tough.

Thanks,thats what I was looking for.I'll get on some maps and check for access points,and see if its worth it

Back