Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado GMU 81 ELK

Still amazing to me that guys put in for units that they’ve never set foot in and then get on a forum asking for help.
Do some homework, show you know what you’re talking about. Maybe ask some general questions before asking about a specific unit.

Still amazing to me that guys put in for units that they’ve never set foot in and then get on a forum asking for help.
Do some homework, show you know what you’re talking about. Maybe ask some general questions before asking about a specific unit.
I hunt plenty on the east coast for whitetail, black bear and ferrel hogs. However, I don’t have any time to step foot in these units prior to season, I have started to look at the maps with Topo’s along with google earth. Sorry for not providing my brief background prior. Hope that helps

Good ol 81. And by good, I mean if you want to be miserable to harvest a raghorn.

I’ll help the rookie out. I’ve hunted that before. Extremely tough unit to harvest but can be rewarding for those who do the right things when they’re there.

PM me @Tglazier

Good ol 81. And by good, I mean if you want to be miserable to harvest a raghorn.

I’ll help the rookie out. I’ve hunted that before. Extremely tough unit to harvest but can be rewarding for those who do the right things when they’re there.

PM me @Tglazier
Much appreciated. I am trying to send you a PM but have not gained access to PM's yet it seems.

Haven’t hunted in Unit 81 since 2002, we took a really nice 6x6 that year and I saw the biggest bull I have encountered during the same hunt; Colorado elk wise. There had been a pretty good fire that had wiped out hunting above Fox Creek that year as well. Coming out with my son in law in September Archery as he just started elk hunting. I know how it is about keeping the honey hole protected but any help is appreciated.

How did your hunt turn out? I'm going there this year for the first time after 4 years in Unit 14. I'm starting at the High Plains Drift Inn on 15 September.
Also trying a new unit after 20 yrs hunting GMU62. Only have limited time this year with a new hunting partner so thought about giving 81 a try. Will also be staying in Capulin.

Also trying a new unit after 20 yrs hunting GMU62. Only have limited time this year with a new hunting partner so thought about giving 81 a try. Will also be staying in Capulin.
Hey Scorpio, I hope you have lined up a place to stay in Capulin. I don't think there's a motel there. It's a real hell-hole of a town, full of junk yards and junk yard dogs. Good luck!

Hey Scorpio, I hope you have lined up a place to stay in Capulin. I don't think there's a motel there. It's a real hell-hole of a town, full of junk yards and junk yard dogs. Good luck!
Yessir staying at the High Plains Drift Inn. Would normally take my travel trailer but not sure of camping areas in 81 yet. This year will be scouting trip and hopefully see something. Going into a place blind the first time I know will be like finding a needle in a haystack but I consider myself a pretty experienced hunter and land navigator I know what to look for. just need a good starting point.

Hope you have fun. My advice… Take a broad view of the area and time of year and consider where elk were… where they want to go… and probably somewhere between is where they will be.

Yessir staying at the High Plains Drift Inn. Would normally take my travel trailer but not sure of camping areas in 81 yet. This year will be scouting trip and hopefully see something. Going into a place blind the first time I know will be like finding a needle in a haystack but I consider myself a pretty experienced hunter and land navigator I know what to look for. just need a good starting point.
PM me regarding Unit 81.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back