colorado gmu 60 1st rifle

iowamatt

I have hunted the white river national forest before and was looking to change it up. I have a tag for GMU 60 for 1st season rifle and looking for some tips for the unit. Any good information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Matt

I hunted elk in deer area 61 which is right next door. That whole area is known mostly for elk than deer. The only deer I saw while hunting elk was along the highways. Fourth rifle season has the best results. That's because hunting pressure brings them out of their safe areas. You should focus mainly on the leeward side of slopes and watch the wind big time. Potential for trophies is big in this area but the big bucks are smart. They get that big by surviving hunting season after hunting season and know how to avoid hunters. So you have to try to think how they think. If you find bedding areas for bucks, set up downwind a good distance. Bucks will circle bedding areas before they come in to look for danger, so set up where you can watch bedding areas until they come in. Deer area 60 is primarily winter range for deer. I saw more deer late season and after than I do during the season after the first big snow falls forces them to migrate.

Last edited:
I have hunted the white river national forest before and was looking to change it up. I have a tag for GMU 60 for 1st season rifle and looking for some tips for the unit. Any good information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Matt
I am heading to unit 60 to hunt in october. Coming up soon. I was curious how your hunt went? We are from missouri and have never been here ir even hunted elk in colorado! I have done a lot of e scouting but you know how that goes. I was planning on getting up around buckeye to set up camp and go from there. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I am heading to unit 60 to hunt in october. Coming up soon. I was curious how your hunt went? We are from missouri and have never been here ir even hunted elk in colorado! I have done a lot of e scouting but you know how that goes. I was planning on getting up around buckeye to set up camp and go from there. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Just got drawn for Unit 60 first Rifle Season for this year! So pumped. How did your hunt end up going?

Doubt you will ever hear anything this thread is full of one or two posters and then they never logged back on.
Darn! Got really lucky on this draw. Best friend just moved to Grand Junction so I have a good opportunity to go up multiple times before the hunt and scout the area.
Really excited for my 2nd ever Elk hunt!

Big bulls. Lots of them. Hold out for a giant.
You are getting me so excited :) What do you think is a respectable size to take being that it would be my first elk? So definitely want to get something but don't want to shoot something young and small just to fill my tag.

You are getting me so excited :) What do you think is a respectable size to take being that it would be my first elk? So definitely want to get something but don't want to shoot something young and small just to fill my tag.
I know nothing about the unit. But don't get caught up worrying about that stuff, shoot the bull that makes you happy. Any elk is respectable especially if it's your first and on public

1st season will probably be tough. More of a migratory unit of elk coming out of the La Sals in Utah for winter range. Probably hug the border around buckeye and hope for a roaming bull. There is a reason that tag is so easy to draw. I'd be shooting the 1st legal bull you see. If you look you'll see the muzzleloader success hovers around 0% which should tell you something about the elk in there early.

Yeah, 4th is the best for this unit, 1st is tough with extremely limited resident elk. You're going to really need to burn boot leather to find elk.

I know nothing about the unit. But don't get caught up worrying about that stuff, shoot the bull that makes you happy. Any elk is respectable especially if it's your first and on public
Good words of advice! Thanks

1st season will probably be tough. More of a migratory unit of elk coming out of the La Sals in Utah for winter range. Probably hug the border around buckeye and hope for a roaming bull. There is a reason that tag is so easy to draw. I'd be shooting the 1st legal bull you see. If you look you'll see the muzzleloader success hovers around 0% which should tell you something about the elk in there early.
Yeah I am starting to see that with all the numbers...Not sure why we put in for this unit to be honest haha. It shows 15 bulls were taken in 2020 First rifle season. You think that is all private land?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back