Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado GMU 54 - 2nd Rifle Season

Good Day to All,

I’m a new Colorado Hunter. Last year was my first year hunting for Elk in GMU 80 during 2nd Rifle Season. No luck at all. We did not even see any Bull Elks during our 6 day hunting trip. I was a bit disappointed because I did tons of research beforehand.

During our Colorado 2017 Hunting season, I know we are going to GMU 54 during 2nd rifle season, Late October. I’m looking for some areas to begin doing more research for possible locations. I know how to use different digital platforms but I’m asking for “on the ground experience” from someone who has hunted that GMU during the same rifle season. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since we will be hunting Elk during Post-Rut (2nd Rifle Season).

A. Some people recommended Takin Rainbow Lake Rd (742B) North to Rainbow Lake Trail, then keep walking Northeast in order to hunt between South Baldy Mountain and North Baldy Mountain.

B. Other people recommended using my OnXMaps to navigate the BLM next to private areas just northwest of Gunnison, CO.

C. Others recommended coming from the northeast using Co Rd 727 and hunt the Mill Creek and Mill Basin area just south of the huge Guerrieri Ranches LLC area.

D. Maybe to find a better area between Soap Creek and West Elk Creek to the West.
Colorado_GMU54.jpg
Drop camp an option? Nope because I’m taking 4 other friends (lower enlisted Army Soldiers) and we do not have the extra money for a drop camp.

What I have done so far:

1. Added a 1.5 miles Non-Hunting area to any Motor Vehicle Roads (RED Lines on both sides of roads). As you can see, on the attach picture of GMU 54, the best areas on the map to hunt will be on the North-Center and West side of the unit.

2. Read the following Posts from this forum:
Hunterconservationist - Colorado Unit 54 Cow Elk Muzzleloader Hunt (09-01-2016)
Huntall – Colorado Unit 54 Early Archery Season
Mmilne – 1st Rifle Elk Hunt in Unit 54, Colorado (06-06-2016)

3. I watched Plenty of YouTube videos to include Hunting with Randy Newberg – How to E-Scouting. Basically since last year, I follow Randy Newberg and the Hushin YouTube Channels. Great guys who share a lot of information with the public.

4. I do have OnXMaps and also know how to use the Hunting Colorado Map Atlas and know how to read paper maps.

Thank you for the help in advance and if you do not want to share much information with everyone here, please PM me the details :).

V/R,

ColoradoHunter719

Last edited:
I pretty sure success rates are low in that unit 2nd season on public ground.I've know some guys who archery hunted it unsuccessfully for a few years.From all I've read is that elk get pushed to private pretty quick or into some he'll holes no one will go into.Its going to be a tough hunt for you 2nd season and you will need to be in top shape.I've hunted unit 55 successfully and can tell you those mountains are no joke,high altitude and steep.I would do more research if I was you.I think there are alot better options

Mixedbag,

Thank you for your points of view. I’m indeed doing a lot of research for this unit because I don’t want the same overall experience of Tag soup from last year. Based on the Harvested report from this unit, this unit was at an average 16 % success rate last year (2016). Rifle Tags were not given for 2015, 2014 and only 3rd season for 2013. We are indeed preparing for those hikes and we are in good shape to hike a few miles to set up camp then hunt from there. I understand that hunting Elk can be a difficult task, but that’s the reason why I started doing it last year. I do like the research and preparation phase as much as the actual scouting and hunting phase. Thanks for your time and your comments.

V/R,

ColoradoHunter719 Colorado_GMU54_2016_Harvested.jpgColorado_GMU54_2015_Harvested.jpgColorado_GMU54_2013_Harvested.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back