Colorado GMU 47

mali0056

Okay so I am going to give this a shot and hopefully don't get my head torn off by guys here.

I have been doing a lot of reading, calling Biologists, Wardens, etc. I am preparing for a DIY Archery Hunt in Unit 47 of Colorado.

Right now it will be three of us. We are all in our early to mid 30's and in relative good shape. I will be joining two of my buddies that live in Co Springs for the hunt.

I have lots of reservations (am I in good enough shape, will I miss, will my gear hold up, will I fall and injure myself, will I get sick, will I need to take a poop at the wrong time.), you know all that stuff.

I am not looking for spots nor am I looking for details from anyone here. What I would like to do is contribute to the group the best I can by hearing any and all stories from those that have hunted Unit 47 in the past. We have been talking and right now we have settled on trying to hunt the Hunter Frying Pan Wilderness.

Any thoughts on strategies from the past that worked (or didn't!!) would be very helpful for me/us. Thanks everyone.

Oh we are going to hunt starting on opening day and hunt through Tuesday.

-Simon

Here is my few ideas and opinions... It sounds like this is your first backcountry backpack style hunt... Most guys Over pack on gear, go absolutely as light weight as possible if you are carrying everything on your back. Also... its tempting to keep going farther and farther into the wilderness each day after elk... but if you are packing one out on your back, and all your camping gear as well, this can turn into an absolute nightmare if you are many miles deep with no pack animals. Also unless you have pre scouted or know where good wallows are, early season bulls may be nearly silent and hard to find when they arent talking.. so id consider going later in Sept if at all possible. If not, find some good wallows and be patient.

Oh... and the Hunter-Frying Pan wilderness is Serious steep hardcore country!! You will possibly find alot of the elk at 11,000+ ft that early in the season... so be prepared for that....

Thanks for the heads up and the thoughts. You are correct in the statement this is my first back country backpack style hunt. I am hunting with two other guys that are much more experienced than I with these styles of hunts so I feel better about that. I am in pretty good shape but that means nothing at 11K+ feet. I am nervous and excited at the same time. Thanks for the thoughts again.

Rookie! I'm 50 and still hoofing it on my back. ;-)

I agree with shedzilla, it's easy to pack too much schtuff. With 3 people, look for things to split up between packs. For example, 3 of us are hunting GMU45 together and one carries the tent poles, another person the tent, the third person carries the footprint and rainfly. You really only need one water filter, one stove, maybe a couple of fuel bottles. etc. between you all.

Also, if you find 16 things and lighten each by one ounce, then you've lightened the pack by 1 pound. For example, shorten your toothbrush handle with a saw, take only the toothpaste you need, unpackage things, etc. It all adds up.

I agree too that hunting at 11K feet, or right around the top of the timberline is a good place to look.

Check the online atlas on the CPW website, too. I change the settings to show summer and winter concentrations. I then scout areas between two concentrations that are close to each other.

Try to pickup your activity level between now and then, too. You don't need to run a marathon, but walk everywhere, ride a bike to the store, park further from the door, take the steps, etc. Eat better too. If you drop 10 lbs in the next couple months then that's 10 lbs you won't have to carry up the mountain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back