Caribou Gear

Colorado GMU 22

elkhunterwannabe

I've hunted GMU 22 for 4 years semi guided with an outfitter. I am trying to save $ so I want to do an "on your own" hunt but not wilderness hunt. I am looking for areas around Piance creek to camp or a place to rent for lodging. just a place to set up base camp or a cabin to rent. anyone know of a place? near hwy 26 or hwy 5

Zach thanks for the info. Rangely is a bit too far but nice to have options if we need them.
We have a lot of BLM land to hunt it is just blocked by a lot of private entry points. It is hard to find public access points. Can we use any county road to access public land even if it crosses private land for a short distance. I was told we could as long as we stay on the road. once we are on the BLM then we can set up where we need to be. secondly - there is a lot of private oil company property around us. Is there a way to try to get permission from the oil companies to access or even cross their land?

If it is a county road you can be on it even if it is private on both sides. Based on my conversations with BLM, the BLM maps will show the road numbers on the BLM or Forest Service roads, which should also be legal for travel thru private land. On the smaller roads which do not show numbers the best way is to call the county to check which roads are legal for you to travel.

Good luck.

As far as camping in GMU 22, Hwy 5 has many side roads that are county rds and you can camp any where you can find a flat spot. As far as the private land I really don't know if we have the right to cross their lands being I have heard of some land owners charging tresspass fees. But there is lots of country to hunt in GMU 22. I have hunted it now for 8 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back