Colorado GMU 11 - Archery

Broadhead

Question for anyone that has hunted in or around Colorado Elk GMU 11 during Archery season: One would think since this is one of the units that borders GMU 2, which takes 20 preference points to draw during archery season, that some of the potential would be in this unit as well, but it's an OTC tag. Is the elk habitat drastically different just by crossing over the Little Snake River? With a little research, it seems like it is pretty hot and dry that direction which would make for a tough archery hunt, but people get it done in GMU 2 every year? I did notice that there's some farmland on the border of GMU 2 and 11 which runs along the river. If you hugged that border, I think that one could be pretty prosperous. Anyone have any insight into this unit? Thanks in advance!

In theory good but in practice not so much. The elk have lived on that boarder for generations and have a good understanding of how things work. Not to mention that the river bottom ranch lands are all leased by guides and outfitters and they will have first shot before the elk ever leave the private.

Do a few every now and then head the wrong direction? Yes, and are there a few elk that live in the 11 side and can be found, yes. But realize that any decent bull I this area is going to have a dozen locals after it. Another chunk of 11 boarder unit 10 as well, but since it is OTC the pressure difference between the land in 11 and 10 or 2 is huge even during the early seasons.

The elk are smart and people are too pushy for there to be much hope. I would suggest one of the many units that offer higher grounds and significantly more elk.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back