Colorado First Rifle-Calling Techniques and Best Practices

Wapiti426

Hi Everyone,

I drew a 1st Rifle Bull tag for Colorado; dates are 10/12-10/16. Wanted to throw it out there and see what you guys think in terms of calling during this part of the year? My assumption is that they will still be vocal and calling might be a good way to locate them, but my gut tells me that this will be a vastly different calling approach than one would use in September? If anyone has nay advice to share, I would be all ears. Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

I drew a 1st Rifle Bull tag for Colorado; dates are 10/12-10/16. Wanted to throw it out there and see what you guys think in terms of calling during this part of the year? My assumption is that they will still be vocal and calling might be a good way to locate them, but my gut tells me that this will be a vastly different calling approach than one would use in September? If anyone has nay advice to share, I would be all ears. Thanks in advance.

I've hunted muzzy and rifle seasons successfully in CO and never used a call. Honestly in OTC units, units that are OTC for 2nd and 3rd rifle yes all 1st season tags are limited, I have yet to hear an elk bugle during a gun season.

If there is lots of timber in your unit, you might get one to respond to a call depending on how proficient you are... but honestly I would focus on glassing and not even worry about calling.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1st rifle experience is bulls can be very vocal at times but like you said its more location I've never called one in during that but they still can noisy enough to make a move on. I'm not saying they cant be called in but just not what I've found

I’ve had a 6x6 bull com in to my own calling, he came to 40 yards of me during the second season in Colorado. Of course I had a cow tag.

I’ve heard bulls bugle during the first season as well.

Called a heard in 1st rifle last year with cow calls. Can work or make them run the other way.
Sounds like if anything, light cow calling would be the way to go? That said, worried about the latter result. Thanks for the intel.

I’d go with more locator bugles. Maybe some cow calling here and there.

Glassing should be the focus of course. I’ve heard bulls in that time frame from time to time.

Back