colorado elk hunting

big dog

I am planning an archery elk hunt in CO. for fall of 2010 to the north of steamboat springs. There will be 6 of us and I am trying to find any info I can get before we go. I would also like to know what the regs say about ATV use in this area, can we take them in to camp and can we use them to help recover game. Any other info on this area would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with specifics on the area, but the following link is the Motorized Vehicle Use Map for the Routt National Forest, which will tell you where ATVs are permitted. Don't forget to buy Colorado non-resident OHV permits for all of your ATVs when you get here.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/travel_management/HPBE_MVUM_Final_2009.pdf

I'm sure you can also get a hard copy of the map and other general information about the area you would like to hunt by calling the Hahn's Peak/Bear's Ears Ranger District office in Steamboat Springs. Good luck.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/contact/index.shtml

I would also like to know what our chances are for buying our tags for the archery elk hunt over the counter or if we should apply for this area prior to our hunt. We plan on hunting cows our first year just for the experience.

If you go to the Colorado page in the Resources section of this website, there is a link to the big game brochure. In the elk section of the brochure, all of the over the counter archery units are listed. Just make sure the area you want to hunt is listed as OTC and you can buy an either sex archery tag when you arrive for your hunt.

cnnmike

That's good info, Oak. We plan on hunting the Steamboat area first rifle season next week. I might be able to get more info for you, Big Dog, from the Rangers and DOW staff if you want. Also, we have a tag for a cow over in Area 16, over the Continental Divide from Steamboat, basically south and west from Walden toward the divide. Does anybody have knowledge on good entry points into Area 16 from the Steamboat and/or Walden side. We've never hunted it and don't know the private vs public access points. We are open to going over the top from SBS or around via Walden. Any help would be appreciated. -mike

Last edited:
Big Dog, I have hunted that area for over 20 years now. You can ride ATVs in the area but it changes from year to year the state will close roads and open others, it can be a real pain some times. You are to stay on the trails and can not retrive game from the forest if the Forest service finds you off the trails they give you big fines. I heard that the state is going to close 40% of the off road trails with in the next couple of years so make sure you have a updated map.
As for the tags they are easy to get and Oak has good advise about going to there Colorado site on this website it has all the info you need. Have a great hunt.

Cnnmike area 16 is a great area, Buffalo pass is your best bet to get in the area.The turn off is about 11 miles south of Walden. There are some lake up there and once you get to the forest area you can go to the north and that road will take you Mt. Zerkle area great place to hunt. Good luck on your hunt.

cnnmike

Thanks very much, CONative. We will hit it there. I guess this tag allows for areas 17, 171 and 161, as well. So we have lots of area to explore, but with only 5 days it's probably best to take your lead. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info guys and good luck with your hunts this year, mine has kind of been put on hold due to a major knee surgery tomorrow, but I will be back at it next year for sure. Dont be surprised if I come up with more questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back