Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

colorado diy archery elk

MIhunt44

I'm headed to colorado the 2nd half of september for archery elk. ive been the last 2 years, moving to a different part of the state this year. i have 2 units and locations within the units picked out to focus. the units are 65 and 74. hoping someone who has some familiarity with these units may be willing to share some info, mainly pertaining to access, and would be willing to have a private conversation about them. any help is appreciated.
thanks

I’ve hunted 74 before but not in about 5 years. There was a big fire there last year. Most of the ground I covered was super steep and rugged. There are elk there but it’s like any other OTC unit in Colorado. Plenty of hunters. Nothing else I can really provide that requires a private conversation. Good luck.

I'm headed to colorado the 2nd half of september for archery elk. ive been the last 2 years, moving to a different part of the state this year. i have 2 units and locations within the units picked out to focus. the units are 65 and 74. hoping someone who has some familiarity with these units may be willing to share some info, mainly pertaining to access, and would be willing to have a private conversation about them. any help is appreciated.
thanks

I used to hunt the Montrose area pretty regular. 74 will likely have hunting pressure to deal with as access is good. That area is loaded with clear cut meadows where elk hang out located in the middle of black timber. It is heavily roaded but even then try hunting as far away from the roads as you can. Look for many of the forestry and logging roads that have been closed off. People tend to avoid those areas thinking they are completely closed. They are closed to all vehicle traffic only unless you see a no trespassing sign. Know your maps. This area is developing fast so avoid trespassing by knowing where the boundaries are.

Now 65 is tough. Be prepared to climb ridges and be in shape. Bulls in that area are tough to find. They survived by knowing how to stay away from hunters. You will have to locate and sneak on on them. Use your spotting scope heavy in this area.

65 is disappointing. Too many hunters and a comically low bull:cow ratio. You think you're back behind everyone, and there's a wall tent camp with 12 guys in it. Seriously be careful, as most bugles will be guys calling.

Now 65 is tough. Be prepared to climb ridges and be in shape. Bulls in that area are tough to find. They survived by knowing how to stay away from hunters. You will have to locate and sneak on on them. Use your spotting scope heavy in this area.

This is accurate for just about any OTC or 1-2 point unit in the state, as is @Bluffgruff 's comment.

That being said there are lots of elk in CO OTC units and you have a decent chance in any unit.

How'd your hunt go? We hunted there last year 3rd rifle season and found the elk just couldn't get to them in time.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back