Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Dilemma

Western Traveler1

I'm in a quandary over what to do with my 11 Colorado Elk points. I'm looking at GMU 40.
I'm 71 and hunt alone. I couldn't draw my bow 2 years ago to hunt an either sex tag in WY. I killed a cow the last day of rifle. I replaced both my shoulders in the last 10 months. I'm assuming I can return to form this year. I hunted Unit 67 a few years ago and found the altitude to be taxing even with a few days in camp before the hunt.
I usually set up a wall tent truck camp and hunt the surrounding areas from trailheads etc. Two miles is a realistic maximum to pack out an animal these days.
I'm open to archery, Muzzleloader or rifle but want to burn my points this year. Yes, onX mapping, Emergency beacon, wood stove, winter clothes etc. I'm attracted to the lower elevation and early long archery season.
I am hearing all kinds of problems with limited public areas, private property issues, herding game back to private, deer hunters etc, but after the rodeo I participated in WY last year little would surprise me. I've killed bulls with my bow and don't need a trophy but would like to kill a bull. I hopefully will have a chance to drive down and scout it a few days this summer.
Is it possible to have a decent DIY hunt in that unit? Is there another GMU or season I should be looking at? I'm not opposed to applying in a unit that would require less points if I can put together a decent hunt and see animals.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm a resident and wouldn't use the 7 points it takes for archery for a unit 40 permit. Most of the elk are on the south half of the unit during archery season, which has limited and scattered public land. Some of the scattered public is canyon country and pretty rough. There are not many elk in the north half, as it is lower elevation, during September. There are big bulls in the unit, but the issue is finding one on public. Bulls in 40 are similar to units 2 and 201, but the amount of private in 40 is a big issue for archery hunters. I've never hunted it, but know those who have. Some killed, some didn't. You are not going to get a lot of opportunities at bulls, but the one you get could be a big one. Risk vs. reward situation. Personally, I would rather hunt smaller on average bulls than deal with all the private in 40.

I agree with Pelican. I've never personally hunted 40, but I know of 4 guys who've tried archery and failed. And they were all pretty great hunters. 40 is a fantastic unit but pretty hard for access, especially during archery/muzzleloader. I know you'd like the lower elevation, but it in no way would be an easier hunt IMO.

I'm with everyone else. I don't personally think 40 archery is worth the points it takes a resident to draw, much less a nonresident. You might kill a monster but you'll more than likely have few encounters on public and come home frustrated. That being said you're kind of in no man's land for nonresident archery. None of the hunts you can draw are worth it IMO for someone with your set of described circumstances. Apply for 40 and roll the dice?

11 points won't draw 40 anyway. Last year 1 out of 11 guys drew with 11 points. It will take at least 12 this year. I'm also in no mans land. If CO averaged points I would share 1/2 of mine with my son. As it is, I guess I won't be hunting elk in CO for a while.

11 points won't draw 40 anyway. Last year 1 out of 11 guys drew with 11 points. It will take at least 12 this year. I'm also in no mans land. If CO averaged points I would share 1/2 of mine with my son. As it is, I guess I won't be hunting elk in CO for a while.
Pelican et al thank you for your thoughts. I was thinking that, hence the post.
@elcocd, of course you are correct. After much research I was pointed in this direction by Colorado Wildlife that said 10 to 11 points drew it last year. He may have misread it. On further review it was 10% with 11 points and we all know about point creep.
It seems 3 points or 23 points is about where a guy wants to be. I'm going to start looking at lower point requirements to meet my objectives and open it up to other weapon types and elevation. I may not be hunting Colorado this year though.
I always have Montana to hunt archery. No, Colorado doesn't allow point splitting, I did inquire about that.
This isn't the only State I am faced with this.
Fortunately I drew an Arizona tag with 10 points and killed a 330" with my bow 3 seasons ago. If I end up eating my points in all the States it was worth playing the game and there is still hope.

Now considering GMU 501 Muzzleloader. Just getting started on research but it looks like I can draw with 11 points going in. Higher elevation than I had hoped and harvest stats are bit low but decent. Picked up a hunting buddy that just retired to come along. Looks like decent public around the Wilderness and a burn area as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Lower elevation in that Wilderness than other CO wilderness areas. That's the good news. It is day-trip close to DEN/COS, has road access along most of its borders, few places to get more than 2 miles in from wilderness boundary.

12 muzzle, 49 muzzle maybe. Is drop camp an option?

Last edited:
elkduds Thanks for the response,
I looked at both GMU 12 and 49 for muzzleloader. Only 30% non-residents drew with 10 points in unit 12 (100 tags total) and 67% drew with 11 points in unit 49 (170 tags total). Very unlikely I could draw either this year or ever catch up with the point creep and I think 49 might be a bit rugged for me as well.
Unit 501 is 35 tags total and I should draw. I'm thinking less elk but less hunters too. I hear it gets hammered with weekenders out and about in all forms though I could fly into Springs or Denver and rent a vehicle to get familiar prior to the season.

Last edited:
So I drew xxx Muzzleloader. My plan has been to burn the points I have collected over the years one state at a time. Now the pre-hunt work gets more serious. Looking forward to it and a return trip to Colorado. I also drew a good Mule deer tag close to home so if all goes well I get to participate in my passion for another year in two beautiful places.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back