Colorado Deer Seasons

I think I would go elk, sheep/goat, moose, caribou, whitetail, waterfowl, bunny, squirrel, carp, muley, and then whistle pig.

I think your decision really depends on how you normally hunt (style and animal size) and what you are after. If you are after an experience I say hold on to the points hunt the terrien and time of year that you want, but if you are looking for a chance at a big buck then I would look to the early high country rifle seasons, way fewer hunters most of these units hold large bucks. It will still take a bunch of points but not as many as most 4th season tags. Another consideration is switching weapons, muzzleloader seasons tend to be easier to draw and you might be able to draw access to better country. If you are dead set on rifle then consider drawing in a less popular unit and hunting the border or a migration route, specifically during the 3rd season, as the bucks are starting to move and you might catch a giant moving out of a high point unit. Good luck.

Cool, congrats. Got my second choice doe tag. Based on this thread, sounds like I'll be doing some more research and burning points next year

You're a resident. There's no reason to be holding more than 2-3 points for deer in Colorado. When I was a resident I went 9 for 9 on pretty decent bucks, in units I could draw every year, and I'm fat, and borderline lazy.
Heard this advice from local friends as well; that CO residents shouldn't worry too much about stacking up points, just hunt every year and get after it hard

I have gotten into a pattern of putting in for a point as first choice, buck as second choice, and doe as third choice. Both 2nd and 3rd choice have been for the same unit in the third season. I have always gotten a doe with the exception of one year I got a buck tag. The year I drew a buck was the only year I didn't harvest a deer, but only by choice because I wanted something bigger than a young 3 point with a radio collar or a couple forks. I have finally saved up 6 points for what I hope is a pretty decent 4th season buck tag this year! Hopefully I can harvest a nice 4 point for my first buck.

For what it's worth, I know Robby Denning said in a recent podcast his newer philosophy would be to go early if you want to find and have a chance at the bigger bucks while they are out and about, moving around more. And I mean like archery early. But if you aren't doing archery and are sticking to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th seasons, then I'd say just grab a 3rd season tag, especially with the new season dates.

It would really come down to what you're looking for. If you just want a tag in your pocket then your current strategy seems to be perfect with no need to change. But in my opinion the wait is worth it if your looking for a higher quality unit and season date. I love hunting deer in November and I get the opportunity to do that every year in Montana, so it makes it easier for me to build up points and not hunt out of state each year.

Cool, congrats. Got my second choice doe tag. Based on this thread, sounds like I'll be doing some more research and burning points next year
In the same boat, again. I blew my points a couple years ago. So another doe tag for me as well, and probably next year too. The whole point creep thing is really sucking the more i think about it. And I vomit when I see returned tags I know I wont get.

Back