Caribou Gear

Colorado deer in winter kill units

PAGOAT

So I should draw a tag in the middle of the winter kill area this year..... Bears ears, I'm trying to tell myself it won't be so bad. I assume most of the deer killed were doe and fawns. The buck we'd be looking for this year most have likely maybe survived ? Hoping for the best I guess.

So I should draw a tag in the middle of the winter kill area this year..... Bears ears, I'm trying to tell myself it won't be so bad. I assume most of the deer killed were doe and fawns. The buck we'd be looking for this year most have likely maybe survived ? Hoping for the best I guess.
Tag cuts are drastic, your draw odds may not be what you’re expecting with the reduced tag numbers. And there will still be deer on the mountain but they might be a lot harder to find.

so many good deer tags in colorado outside of the NW corner. so many places that didn't get decimated by horrific winter.

in DAU 2 it's a 48% reduction in rifle antlered licenses... that's massive

94% reduction in rifle antlerless licenses...

i'd have been lookin elsewhere personally.

so many good deer tags in colorado outside of the NW corner. so many places that didn't get decimated by horrific winter.

When I applied I didn't really have a back up plan for if they all got killed by snow. That wasn't even thought about during my planning last year. I thought of changing plans at the last minute in March but we decided to ride it out.

When I applied I didn't really have a back up plan for if they all got killed by snow. That wasn't even thought about during my planning last year. I thought of changing plans at the last minute in March but we decided to ride it out.

if you draw you'll find bucks no doubt. it will be interesting to hear the hunt reports for sure.

That’s what I’m worried about.
I hunt outside the NW corner in a low point unit, I’m afraid we will get a lot more applicants as people choose not to apply up there.

I'm right there with you (or in the neighboring unit, at least). Planned the hunt before the winter happened...too late to do anything else. At least I drew? 4th season. We'll see how it goes.

Winterkill started long before applications even opened, by the time apps were due it was fairly common knowledge it was going to be bad… Then it continued to snow for another month after that. There’s quite literally a ton of post through various forums on the matter…not trying to be condescending, but there’s been months of talk about it and the obscene amounts of snow in the west.
IMG_2852.jpegIMG_3249.jpegIMG_3250.jpegIMG_3021.pngIMG_3326.jpegIMG_3325.jpeg
The last two are outside Maybell at the end of April....

Winterkill started long before applications even opened, by the time apps were due it was fairly common knowledge it was going to be bad… Then it continued to snow for another month after that. There’s quite literally a ton of post through various forums on the matter…not trying to be condescending, but there’s been months of talk about it and the obscene amounts of snow in the west.

All true, and I'm not complaining or blaming anyone. I booked this 4th season unguided, drop camp type hunt for NW Colorado almost a year ago. I suppose I could've forfeited the deposit and gone elsewhere, but the deposit was significant and that would've left the three other guys hanging, plus there's no way the outfitter would've been able to rebook it given the conditions. Bottom line - I committed before the winter and it didn't seem right to back out. It's not an ideal situation, and it will probably be the last chance I have to hunt for at least two years as I head back overseas next. Now it looks like two out of the four of us ended up not drawing deer tags due to the reduced allocation. We'll see how we fare on the elk draw tomorrow and make the best of the hand we're dealt.

Understandable given the situation, I wish that this winter didn't happen myself, other than needed moisture... I think most people are trying to hope for the best out this, I would just really temper expectations... it's not great out there.

View attachment 278072View attachment 278073View attachment 278074View attachment 278075View attachment 278076View attachment 278077
Wow. Know that area pretty good and can figure out about where you took that pic. That is a lot of snow on the ground for end of April there. Explains a lot.

I'm right there with you (or in the neighboring unit, at least). Planned the hunt before the winter happened...too late to do anything else. At least I drew? 4th season. We'll see how it goes.
I drew a second rifle tag in 4. Hopefully there’s a few deer around. The only good thing is there will be far less hunters and only a 5 day elk season. Good luck to you 👍🏻

Reactions: stk
I live about 6-8 miles east of Bears Ears as the crow flies. As of this am, I have seen a total of ONE cow elk, 5 doe antelope(one with a significant limp) that will not be around if a coyote shows up- we usually have plenty of coyotes right now and I haven't seen or heard many at all this spring. If there is any good news that the antelope showed up last Friday and the cow elk this am. A few of my neighbors said they have seen a deer or two.

Normally I can look out my window or look into my pastures and see 100+ elk, 10-20 antelope, and deer all over the place.

The majority of the snow is gone except for some big banks up top, so the animals should be moving into the birthing areas - which my neighborhood is part of.

The good news is everything is green as can be and the ground is moist. It looks like a Alaska day this am - low 40's and drizzly. I will know in a week or two if there will be any newborns in the area.

I am sure some survived but it looks a little spooky right now and the next few weeks will tell me everything I need to know about Bears Ear and California Park.

On a brighter note I know of 2 different groups of Bears Ear OTC 3rd season hunters whom will not be in the area this year - so pressure should be substantially less based on this small sample size. I surmise there will be a bunch of other groups change course this year with no cow tags and the shortened season.

Last edited:
Wife & I paid for a cabin, decided to apply. Wife ended up with a buck tag, 2nd rifle, Meeker area. We both got cow tags, just wanted one so sending mine back.

How will it be??? Google old post regarding fall 2008 hunting season after the 2007 winterkill. Hunting and hunters by nature require optimism, reading those posts will set your expectations.

Not deer related per se, but I drove around some county roads in Moffat County last night and counted no less than two dozen winter killed antelope carcasses on the side of the road in various places. One stretch has a dozen carcasses within 100 yards of one another.

There is always an animal to be harvested, just depends how much work needs to be put into it.

Tag cuts are drastic, your draw odds may not be what you’re expecting with the reduced tag numbers. And there will still be deer on the mountain but they might be a lot harder to find.
I didn't draw my elk or pronghorn this year and I usually do. I'm guessing the winter kill is the reason. However I did draw my moose in area 171. Anyone have any area advice?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back