Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Application Question

Southern Elk

I just applied for an Elk permit in a limited draw unit as my first choice and a preference point as my second choice. A friend told me that you could not apply for a PP as second choice, but the system allowed me to do so. So my question is will my app get thrown out if this was incorrect? And will I still get the PP if this was not the correct way to apply? I also checked the box for refund if unsuccessful.

You definitely cannot get a point on 2nd choice. From top of p.11 in the brochure, "Customers will NOT be contacted to fix any applications before the draw. Those applications will be disqualified immediately, If you think you made a mistake, fill out correction requests by April 11 @
cpw.state.co.us/bg/corrections "

Sounds fixable online, just use the form to delete your 2nd choice. Good luck.

So you think my app would be thrown out because I put PP as second choice? I didn't think that I would get my first choice and I thought that was the way to get the point. It's my 1st year trying to draw a tag. Always applied for PPs before now.

I think CPW, like all gov't agencies, lives by rules and has poor tolerance for exceptions, hence the statement from the brochure above. I'd say do the correction form online and don't worry.

Rule #1, never ever depend on forums to answer questions about application procedures and rules. Call CPW and ask..

That said, you are fine with what you did, although it made zero sense to do it..

Rule #1, never ever depend on forums to answer questions about application procedures and rules. Call CPW and ask..

That said, you are fine with what you did, although it made zero sense to do it..

I tried calling all afternoon and got a busy signal. Almost like they only have 1 phone line to answer every call.

If you did all this online, I thought CPW said the computer wouldn't allow you to make mistakes like this?

If you don't draw your first choice you are automatically given a point

This. If you apply for a unit and you don't draw, you get a point and a refund (less fee) of your $. No reason to place a 2nd choice.

I presume the computer, by allowing a point option in the 2nd choice entry, will only look at the 2nd choice if you do not draw the 1st choice. You indicated you do not think your 1st choice will result in a permit being drawn. When the draw circles around to look at 2nd choices, your 2nd choice will not be a valid choice so presume the computer will ignore the choice much as if you selected the same choice for 2nd as 1st. Doing the correction paperwork is prudent since no way to know if the person coding the software opted to (1) treat your 2nd choice as "null" and thus your two choices will not have drawn a permit so you get a Preference Point or (2) the lack of a valid entry will disqualify the application.

Good luck.

I corrected the app to only show a 1st choice for the tag that I hope to draw. I think that was my safest bet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back