Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

cold weather gear??

californiacoyotes

what do you northern or eastern guys do for a cold weather jacket? i currently use a sweatshirt under my cardhart jacket but it's alittle bulky and i feel stiff in the arms of the jacket.

Wear loose clothing in layers. Avoid cotton garments since they collect moisture from your body. Polypropylene tops and bottoms, then loose clothing, and coat. If you get too warm you could always shed some of the clothing (put them in a backpack ) and keep on going. Lightweight rain gear will keep you dry.

Greetings,

It's hard to get away from bulky and heavy clothes for cold weather hunting (less than 30F). I agree with Ray, but would include using Goretex from head to foot for breathability. Oh yeah, a good rabbit fur hat is amazingly warm.

Take care,

Mike

I love my Carhart jacket but would never use it hunting. Too big. I tend to cover a lot of ground when I hunt so lighter is better. Fleece and gore-tex is good or many companies now make less noisy, waterproof fabric in camo patterns. Good stuff. Always carry more warm clothes than you need. I almost had to spend the night out this past deer hunt during a nasty snow storm while looking for a lost guy. I wasn't worried though because I had more than enough clothes.

Well Gents,
I have got to put a plug in for Swazi Daves products.
I tested out his 4WD jacket and pants in Wyoming and "Never got cold" He makes the stuff with some new stuff called wind stopper.
I did wear poly-pro's under it and a Balaclava face mask! However it worked well for me! I did sweat a bit when pulling out the snow machine, but the wind stopper kept my warm.
Moosie, got one of the rain jackets to test out, and from what other members of the board have posted, they are happy with the gear they have bought from Swazi!
Check them out sometimes online
at http://www.swazi.co.nz

Or ask around for dave , he can tell you how his products are made and tested "by kiwi's and Yahoo's on snow machines"
smile.gif

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

Cali, Are you gonna be walking alot or mostly sitting? I use the layering method myself, but I walk alot. I don't layer on heavy clothes, I just layer on alot of thin stuff and have done alot of hunting in below zero weather. Looser is better,period. If your tight and bulky you can't be comfortable, and if you layer alot of heavy clothing over lighter clothing you will just be packing it if you are walking alot.Keep this in mind if you hunt with a full pack.My gear includes,
1 heavy long underwear( tops and bottoms)
2 T'shirt covered by a light fleece jacket and wool pants if it is cold enough. Cold enough being 10 below or better(camo of course)
3 Medium coat( usually wool or fleece.)
4 Good socks and boots
5 Hat of some sort
6 wool mittens that the mitten part comes off exposing the fingers

I would rather be a little cold than too hot.In Montana there is always a little hill that will warm you up if the need arises. TF

Back