Col.unit 77/78 deer 2nd. season

Buckeye1

This will be my first deer hunt, going to get otc elk tag also.Any info on these units would be greatly appreciated.

A friend and I just hunted 77 for the first time. I will list for you the animals we saw in order of quantity from greatest to least.

- Humans
- Humans (they deserve 2 entries for the shear number of them in this unit.)
- chipmunks
- squirrels
- Mule deer
- elk

It was beautiful there but I don't believe we will go back based on the congestion.

A friend and I just hunted 77 for the first time. I will list for you the animals we saw in order of quantity from greatest to least.

- Humans
- Humans (they deserve 2 entries for the shear number of them in this unit.)
- chipmunks
- squirrels
- Mule deer
- elk

It was beautiful there but I don't believe we will go back based on the congestion.

77 is part of the largest wilderness area in the state of CO. If you were seeing more people than deer/elk, you were hunting in the wrong area.

77 is part of the largest wilderness area in the state of CO. If you were seeing more people than deer/elk, you were hunting in the wrong area.

If your referring to the Weminuche, its all in 751/76. Its fairly easy info to get a hold of, you just have to look for it.

The weminuche is the largest wilderness area in colorado and includes right around 500K acres, none of which are in unit 77.

All of the piedra primitive area in 77 is surrounded by roads and pretty easily accessible. We hunted during the week, not on the weekends and saw plenty of other hunters. We intially backpacked in about 5 miles and found good fresh sign. but eventually packed out empty handed.

OP, PM if you want more info. Happy to help if I can

I stand corrected Sir, It is I should have looked harder. A portion of the weminuche is in UNIT 77.:eek:

As someone who has hunted 77 ever since Missionary Ridge in 75 burned up years ago I will tell you there are some Great Mule Deer and Elk up that way. Head up Indian Trail out of Palisades Horse Park or Poison Park way. Just take the trails and watch for Game slides and follow them up then sit there, let others run them to you. I don't like 2nd season for the craziness. Hope this helps. BTW, The Weninuche is a vast and beautiful place to see if you like to see what the Real Colorado looks like. Kill my first bull up there out of a herd of 50 plus elk. Awesome. John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back