Yeti GOBOX Collection

Coastal Oregon Rifle Elk Help

True that passing better states. General tags in Montana or Idaho (if you can get them) are much better quality.
I'd disagree since I've hunted both. Multiple states have far better elk hunting than the panhandle units of Idaho. I had 12 cams out for 5mos in Idaho, ONE bull on camera. I covered miles during this past deer season in a 13 day span to see 2 elk in Idaho lol, that's miles in the woods, not road hunting. I can see two here by accident

It sounds like the OP of this thread moved on to a different hunt but I will share what I can about the hunt in question for anybody who stumbles onto this thread in the future.

Unfortunately with most of the state being controlled hunts for elk these General Season Roosevelt hunts have become a dumping ground for anybody who didn't draw a tag and they are extremely crowded. In order to allow proper escapement, the any bull season (first season) in the Trask and Wilson is only 4 days which further compounds the crowding. Second season is spike only and is 7 days and not nearly as crowded but a lot of the spikes get killed in first season which makes that a hard sell.

Most any opening that you can glass will be surrounded by hunters at daylight which really takes away from a quality hunt. The best bet if you really want to kill a Roosevelt is to head into the timber and try to find tracks and follow them until you get a shot. For anybody who hasn't hunted the coastal rainforest the "timber" is very thick and at times impassable if you get off an elk trail and horrible even if you are on an elk trail. I archery hunt and have trails cut into most areas I hunt to allow myself to get around. Without that benefit it would be a lot harder but if you are patient it can be done. The only saving grace is that you often don't have to go very far to be "way back in". I've been .3 miles via GPS from the truck before and wondered if I would ever make it out when I made the mistake of getting off an elk trail!

Success rates are around 10% and the bull harvest has dropped off from around 400 bulls a year to under 300 in the Trask unit in the last 3 years and I imagine 2023 will be an all time low. ODFW changed the way they give out damage tags a few years ago and that has had a huge impact on the elk population. One landowner to the north has been given 80 cow tags in the last couple years according to an article in the local newspaper. It's not a bright outlook for the future for sure but they are sure cool elk!

It sounds like the OP of this thread moved on to a different hunt but I will share what I can about the hunt in question for anybody who stumbles onto this thread in the future.

Unfortunately with most of the state being controlled hunts for elk these General Season Roosevelt hunts have become a dumping ground for anybody who didn't draw a tag and they are extremely crowded. In order to allow proper escapement, the any bull season (first season) in the Trask and Wilson is only 4 days which further compounds the crowding. Second season is spike only and is 7 days and not nearly as crowded but a lot of the spikes get killed in first season which makes that a hard sell.

Most any opening that you can glass will be surrounded by hunters at daylight which really takes away from a quality hunt. The best bet if you really want to kill a Roosevelt is to head into the timber and try to find tracks and follow them until you get a shot. For anybody who hasn't hunted the coastal rainforest the "timber" is very thick and at times impassable if you get off an elk trail and horrible even if you are on an elk trail. I archery hunt and have trails cut into most areas I hunt to allow myself to get around. Without that benefit it would be a lot harder but if you are patient it can be done. The only saving grace is that you often don't have to go very far to be "way back in". I've been .3 miles via GPS from the truck before and wondered if I would ever make it out when I made the mistake of getting off an elk trail!

Success rates are around 10% and the bull harvest has dropped off from around 400 bulls a year to under 300 in the Trask unit in the last 3 years and I imagine 2023 will be an all time low. ODFW changed the way they give out damage tags a few years ago and that has had a huge impact on the elk population. One landowner to the north has been given 80 cow tags in the last couple years according to an article in the local newspaper. It's not a bright outlook for the future for sure but they are sure cool elk!
Those damage tags haven't impacted the elk herd around here. The elk you referred to are town/beach elk and tearing up yards, farm land/fencing, and causing several auto accidents with no management due to location. Same for Fort Stevens except no damage tags there. The damage tag complaints are simply uneducated opinions of those locals the article is referring to and the guy wanking has no reason to be given tag holders names as he thinks he should. We fill damage tags and count the elk on a regular basis and there's no impact other than we get elk free land for a few days. They breed and replace what's gone due to available food and sustainability.

Those damage tags haven't impacted the elk herd around here. The elk you referred to are town/beach elk and tearing up yards, farm land/fencing, and causing several auto accidents with no management due to location. Same for Fort Stevens except no damage tags there. The damage tag complaints are simply uneducated opinions of those locals the article is referring to and the guy wanking has no reason to be given tag holders names as he thinks he should. We fill damage tags and count the elk on a regular basis and there's no impact other than we get elk free land for a few days. They breed and replace what's gone due to available food and sustainability.
In Tillamook County they have substantially reduced the elk population. A lot of the problem is the fact that the Forest Service hasn't done any clear cutting in 30 years so the available habitat in the National Forest is dwindling causing the remaining elk population to end up in dairy farmers fields and now they get unlimited damage tags. The bull harvest didn't drop over 25% in 3 years for no reason.

In Tillamook County they have substantially reduced the elk population. A lot of the problem is the fact that the Forest Service hasn't done any clear cutting in 30 years so the available habitat in the National Forest is dwindling causing the remaining elk population to end up in dairy farmers fields and now they get unlimited damage tags. The bull harvest didn't drop over 25% in 3 years for no reason.
The farmers getting unlimited tags doesn't really mean much. We get unlimited tags but so far only had to shoot 3, ya need stats to complain IMO. They should get those tags, the elk costs farmers millions annually and that 40-50# of grass one eats per night means more monies being spent for feed. As far as unit numbers Saddle Mountain and Wilson unit pretty much the same success rates for the last 5 years (archery bulls taken). I'm not looking up gun season but, I know the success rate has not dropped 25%. The Wilson unit bulls killed were 56 less in 2022 compared to 2020. You MUST consider that there were also 287 hunters in 2022 compare to 2020. You're way off with ya numbers./

The farmers getting unlimited tags doesn't really mean much. We get unlimited tags but so far only had to shoot 3, ya need stats to complain IMO. They should get those tags, the elk costs farmers millions annually and that 40-50# of grass one eats per night means more monies being spent for feed. As far as unit numbers Saddle Mountain and Wilson unit pretty much the same success rates for the last 5 years (archery bulls taken). I'm not looking up gun season but, I know the success rate has not dropped 25%. The Wilson unit bulls killed were 56 less in 2022 compared to 2020. You MUST consider that there were also 287 hunters in 2022 compare to 2020. You're way off with ya numbers./
This thread is about rifle hunting and I am looking at rifle season numbers.

The rifle harvest in the Wilson in 2020 was 195 bulls (first season) and 55 spikes (second season) for a total harvest of 250 bulls. 2022 it dropped to 153 bulls (first season) and 51 spikes for a total harvest of 204 bulls. That is exactly a 25% drop in harvest.

The Trask numbers for 2020 were 399 bulls (first season) and 106 spikes (second season) for a total of 505 bulls. 2022 they dropped to 298 bulls (first season) and 76 spikes (second season) for a total harvest of 374 bulls. That is a 26% drop in harvest.

I just looked at the archery numbers for Trask Unit too. 2022 was 127 bulls compared to 170 in 2020. Again a 25% decline.

It easy to say unlimited damage tags doesn't really mean much but the numbers say otherwise. I'm not off on the numbers and they speak for themselves...

Last edited:

True statement and as a newbie to an area, getting information is very difficult. Expand your hunting to learn the area, spring and fall bear hunt or cougar. Time in the woods will help the most. I’m still learning as a transplant, however I enjoy my time in the woods.

This thread is about rifle hunting and I am looking at rifle season numbers.

The rifle harvest in the Wilson in 2020 was 195 bulls (first season) and 55 spikes (second season) for a total harvest of 250 bulls. 2022 it dropped to 153 bulls (first season) and 51 spikes for a total harvest of 204 bulls. That is exactly a 25% drop in harvest.

The Trask numbers for 2020 were 399 bulls (first season) and 106 spikes (second season) for a total of 505 bulls. 2022 they dropped to 298 bulls (first season) and 76 spikes (second season) for a total harvest of 374 bulls. That is a 26% drop in harvest.

I just looked at the archery numbers for Trask Unit too. 2022 was 127 bulls compared to 170 in 2020. Again a 25% decline.

It easy to say unlimited damage tags doesn't really mean much but the numbers say otherwise. I'm not off on the numbers and they speak for themselves...
My last sentence in the previous post was 1st and 2nd any weapons season from the Wilson Unit, not archery and they are correct. In the wilson units gun season the succes rates pretty much stayed the same, like I said hunter number numbers have to be factored in, not just number of animals killed. You mentioned the Wilson unit, 2018 - 13% success rate, 2020 - 14% rate, 2022 - 13%. There's no 25% decrease in success, it's number of hunters. Like I pointed out previously, there were 287 less hunters in 2022 compared to 2020, kind of obvious less animals would be killed. 2022 had less hunters than the previous two years in the wilson unit. It's not damage tags causing it as ya stated

My last sentence in the previous post was 1st and 2nd any weapons season from the Wilson Unit, not archery and they are correct. In the wilson units gun season the succes rates pretty much stayed the same, like I said hunter number numbers have to be factored in, not just number of animals killed. You mentioned the Wilson unit, 2018 - 13% success rate, 2020 - 14% rate, 2022 - 13%. There's no 25% decrease in success, it's number of hunters. Like I pointed out previously, there were 287 less hunters in 2022 compared to 2020, kind of obvious less animals would be killed. 2022 had less hunters than the previous two years in the wilson unit. It's not damage tags causing it as ya stated
Not sure where you are getting those numbers but from the ODFW statistics the success rate in the Wilson for 2022 was 10% for first season and 6% for second season. The number of hunters in the Wilson Rifle hunt dropped about 10% while number of bulls harvested dropped 25% so I have to disagree with you. A person has to wonder why hunter numbers have dropped of course. It seems to me less hunters should equal an increase in success but that is just my opinion and not really relevant for this thread. In the Trask Unit archery hunter numbers actually increased 7% between 2020 and 2022 while harvested bulls dropped 25%. I've never seen a place that gave out unlimited damage tags and had it not have a negative effect on actual hunters but I'm not going to debate it. I am just posting the stats that I have available so if someone is looking for info in the future they have an understanding of what the hunt is like.

I've killed a couple nice bulls in the last three years so it's not absolutely terrible just a fraction of what it was a few years back.

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but from the ODFW statistics the success rate in the Wilson for 2022 was 10% for first season and 6% for second season. The number of hunters in the Wilson Rifle hunt dropped about 10% while number of bulls harvested dropped 25% so I have to disagree with you. A person has to wonder why hunter numbers have dropped of course. It seems to me less hunters should equal an increase in success but that is just my opinion and not really relevant for this thread. In the Trask Unit archery hunter numbers actually increased 7% between 2020 and 2022 while harvested bulls dropped 25%. I've never seen a place that gave out unlimited damage tags and had it not have a negative effect on actual hunters but I'm not going to debate it. I am just posting the stats that I have available so if someone is looking for info in the future they have an understanding of what the hunt is like.

I've killed a couple nice bulls in the last three years so it's not absolutely terrible just a fraction of what it was a few years back.
Getting #s same place you are. The success percentages were archery, no drop in success rates over those years. Like I stated, there's a drop in hunters 2022/2,268 hunters, 2021/2,415 hunters, and 20201/2,555 hunters. The success rate averaged dropping 1%. That drop could be lack of skilled hunters, weather, or whatever BUT, the valley farms do not pull elk from all over and drain an entire of elk numbers . That 79 cows over 3 years in the news didn't affect hunting because they lived in a non-huntable area other than a couple landowners shooting a bull. We can shoot 20 cows from a herd of 80 and there are 80 again there the next year, and we've counted. Like I posted earlier, The Wilson unit bulls killed were 56 less in 2022 compared to 2020. You MUST consider that there were also 287 less hunters. Poachings gotten worse in the Saddle mt unit for sure

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back