Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Coastal Oregon Rifle Elk Help

TomTom8989

Hey everyone.

I'm a fairly new, inexperienced hunter, but I keep trying. I moved to Oregon last year, and been having a hard time adjusting to the hunting here after having had some success on the plains of South Dakota. I had planned to have a Western Cascades Elk hunt, but where I wanted and planned to go has gotten burned out, so now I'm turning my attention to the coastal Elk seasons. I have no idea where to start as far as coastal rainforest rifle elk - from what I can see on the maps there are few if any clear cuts to glass and find elk, and just walking through the forests (even if it's raining and soft) during the late season, I mean could that work? Don't want to sound desperate, but if there are any tips and advice you have about rifle hunting coastal rainforest elk, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey everyone.

I'm a fairly new, inexperienced hunter, but I keep trying. I moved to Oregon last year, and been having a hard time adjusting to the hunting here after having had some success on the plains of South Dakota. I had planned to have a Western Cascades Elk hunt, but where I wanted and planned to go has gotten burned out, so now I'm turning my attention to the coastal Elk seasons. I have no idea where to start as far as coastal rainforest rifle elk - from what I can see on the maps there are few if any clear cuts to glass and find elk, and just walking through the forests (even if it's raining and soft) during the late season, I mean could that work? Don't want to sound desperate, but if there are any tips and advice you have about rifle hunting coastal rainforest elk, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Well, I've never hunted elk in Oregon, but just walking through the woods is all we can do in the northeastern forests and we manage to stumble into deer from time to time. Good luck!

I live between Portland and Astoria and will be hunting rosies this year. I have lived on the wet side of the Cascades my whole life and have yet to even hunt for rosies. We have hunted E. Oregon, WY and NM for elk. That said, we struck out on draws this year so hunting close to home for general deer and elk. What part of the valley or coast do you live in? When we found out we were resigned to hunting this side we acquired Weyerhaeuser access permits. Depending on where you are at they may/may not still be available. Likely they are sold out for most areas though. Weyerhaeuser or not, talk to local bio, find some habitat like newer cuts on GE/OnX and spend some time in them leading up to the opener. Another option you have is a general spike tag east of the mountains. These are in some traditionally elky units but you will be dealing with hordes of people.

Sorry, not a ton of help but good luck!

I used to live/hunt/work out of the Gold Beach district and hunted elk there for years but honestly had better luck in Powers and Sixes. If you end up in one of them pm me and I’ll share what I know. Marv

Hey everyone.

Sorry for the late reply as I just joined. I have hunted Oregob coast elk range a number of times and. The Wilson or Trask unit is my primary go to spots. I like to glass the young clear-cuts in the morning first light and evening last light.
During the day I look to the natural benches above the clear cuts of hard timber where they may be bedded, or steep down on the bottom of the canyon in the alder thickets of there has been a lot of pressure.
Depending on the weather you can catch them feeding during the day as well out in the open sometimes.
Scouting ahead of the season is a big plus and most of the forested areas can be accessed off logging and fire break roads.
Good rain gear is a must as it is very wet in November on the Oregon coast.
Good luck.

Hey everyone.

Did you get into them hunting last season on the coast ? What unit did you spend most of your time in? A lot of the timber companies allow access during season

Hey everyone.

Are you hunting general elk rifleseason this upcoming fall? NJ guy looking to come out and scout and hunt and was curious if you think the Trask unit is worthwhile for a first time Coastal elk hunt?

Are you hunting general elk rifleseason this upcoming fall? NJ guy looking to come out and scout and hunt and was curious if you think the Trask unit is worthwhile for a first time Coastal elk hunt?
Of all the possibilities for OTC elk, I’m curious what’s drawn you to the Trask?

I’m no expert on coastal elk, but I have hunted the that unit once. I’d take a look at the number of tags sold for that hunt over the past five years on ODFW’s website, and compare those numbers to success rates. It’s a tough hunt, and crowded. Like, really crowded.

Of all the possibilities for OTC elk, I’m curious what’s drawn you to the Trask?

I’m no expert on coastal elk, but I have hunted the that unit once. I’d take a look at the number of tags sold for that hunt over the past five years on ODFW’s website, and compare those numbers to success rates. It’s a tough hunt, and crowded. Like, really crowded.
You just didn’t “lace ‘em up” hard enough, that’s all.

I just seen Tom and said "this will be interesting and stupid" nope false alarm its tomtom and some internet panhandler.

You're passing better States to elk hunt while getting to the Oregon coast. Coastal gun hunts are more of a rat race than an enjoyable hunt. Hunters glassing for other hunters, speeding trucks with CB radios etc...

You're passing better States to elk hunt while getting to the Oregon coast. Coastal gun hunts are more of a rat race than an enjoyable hunt. Hunters glassing for other hunters, speeding trucks with CB radios etc...
True that passing better states. General tags in Montana or Idaho (if you can get them) are much better quality.

Did you get into them hunting last season on the coast ? What unit did you spend most of your time in? A lot of the timber companies allow access during season
I ended up getting a geneal west cascades tag in unit 22. That tag was in mid-October and I got there a few days after opening day. Backcountry-ied it in the Rogue-Umpqua Wilderness. It was about two weeks too late. Tons of sign but about 2-3 weeks old.found an elk calf carcass the local couger had enjoyed. Hiked all over, elk were gone.
I got to know Alsea really well and spent a lot of time on Starker land, but had to move and I'm not anywhere close to there now.

Well, I've never hunted elk in Oregon, but just walking through the woods is all we can do in the northeastern forests and we manage to stumble into deer from time to time. Good luck!
Can't kill anything on the couch.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back