Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Coalition fighting natural gas drilling in Valle Vidal

feclnogn

next to the rock over by the tree on the other sid
TAOS, N.M. (AP) - A coalition is fighting a proposal to drill for natural gas on the Valle Vidal of northern New Mexico.

The Valle Vidal was added to the Carson National Forest years ago to protect its natural beauty and wildlife.

A study released in July says a first round of drilling could include nearly 200 wells, one for every 160 acres. The drilling also would need hundreds of miles of roads.

The Carson National Forest expects to release an environmental analysis in 2006 of potential drilling impacts on the Valle Vidal.

State Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Secretary Joanna Prukop says there’s little the state can do if the Forest Service approves drilling in the area.
This is a horrible idea, after seeing what they did to Vermejo park next door to the Valled Vidal this would be a huge blunder. Say good buy to one really nice piece of land. 1 well every 160 acres????

Spacing of 4 per section is a lot, although some say it is only a small disturbance (usually 200' x 250' pads at most in my neck of the woods). The real impacts are the roads and disturbances created by them in my opinion.

I am all for utilizing domestic energy, but some areas need to be protected from development.

"What yall call "roads" are two tracks in......."

Well, yall aren't paying attention then. People are driving on those "two tracks" and road hunting from them. Using them to drive to more places than they used to be able to before the roads were there. You think that's not having an impact on wildlife?

Where's Buzz's picture of the gas wells when we need it?

One thing I've noticed over the last few years in SI is that if a poster is making $ from some resource extraction activity, they always claim that it has no impact on wildlife.

What yall call "roads" are two tracks in the middle of pastures in which I use to drive daily in natural gas fracturing gong to these sites/pads, I have traveled all over the south and northwest fracturing for natural gas and can tell you the impact that everyone claims and disturbances on land and wildlife are slim-to-none.

ICG if they do to the Valle Vidal what they did to Vermejo park, (and the only difference between the two is a fence line that seperates them) then I can tell you that they will not be two track trails but instead TWO LANE gravel roads. I hunted Vermejo last year and what I saw was nothing short of a complete mess. These roads are everywhere, crisscrossing each other for no apparent reason, going in cirles, up the side of mountains and then down the other side.

Fyi, I've been out there in it and seen wildlife at 15 yards with everything on site running full blast curious, from antelope to deer mostly, your going off some liberal BS "Yall" read about and etc.... I've been out there in it not reading about it, Most the big sites ( picture you refering too from buzz) are of PRIVATE land owners properties in which majority of your oil and gas well heads are located on! You should get out there and take a look for yourself; both of ya seem like pretty smart fellers! Course bet no one in here uses Natural resources on a day to day basis one way or another, unless perhaps all the people I hear complaining about these natural resource issues have a better solution like perhaps getting More resources from Middle east and funding more terrorist activities there's a winner!

[ 10-01-2004, 16:45: Message edited by: IdahoCritterGetter ]

ICG, I was in the oil business for 26 years. Before you were born. I've hunted all over CO and WY before and after the wells were there. I don't know why you can't comprehend the simple concept that roads and increased access for vehicles is bad for wildlife. Always has been, always will be. Your little anecdotes about seeing an antelope or rabbit near a well don't amount to shit. Anyone with a brain knows the impact roads have on wildlife.

ICG- One question I have, is are all these roads necessary? How many maintenance/administrative visits are required or are status quo?

Seems to me that technology should be available to not need 4 wells in every 1 square mile.

Ithaca sounds like we agree to disagree,
I was in the oil business for 26 years. Before you were born. I've hunted all over CO and WY before and after the wells were there.
Sure there was a point to follow this but missed it!I have worked in CO,WY,ID,MT,TX,NM,LA,AR, and cpl more states and I have seen multiple wildlife with much disregard too the happenings going on from oil and gas operations so you tell me what these remote access roads are doing that hurts our wildlife when 3/4 of land their on are privately own with multiple roads currently all around and through their property before hand. You wanna know something worth getting bent out of shape about is fences, ATV's, and etc...
Your little anecdotes about seeing an antelope or rabbit near a well don't amount to shit. Anyone with a brain knows the impact roads have on wildlife
you want to be disrespectful and childish in your replys than we can discuss this further somewhere more real, no cpu! please dont mistake kindness for weakness! Perhaps you didn't mean it the way I took it that case apologies! Respect is 2-way street, Give and ye shall recieve!

1_pointer, I think every single road out there is not necessary!
How many maintenance/administrative visits are required or are status quo?
That depends on site history, importance, and etc...For ex. If we had new clients more traffic than usual would come out and look and play the big-wig role makeing sure safety and other guidelines are being followed, or if there was a bigger than normal job than course same as above would happen. Unless you meant something different that gives ya a idea.

[ 10-02-2004, 00:36: Message edited by: IdahoCritterGetter ]

Thanks, was just curious. I don't think the impact to wildlife is due to the actual well or administrative use of the roads. I'm guessing the largest impact is due to the public using those same roads. I've seen similar things here with two-tracks leading to range improvements. The few visits made by the BLM and the rancher are largely negligible to wildlife. However, during hunting seasons these roads get quite a bit of traffic.

I agree that people do use them for hunting and etc..., but same can be said for logging roads, service roads, and four wheeler trails too. Yes I have seen people drive their small trucks up and down these atv trails, I just see putting fault of misuse in right hands, thanx for not biteing off head;)!

ICG- You've made my point! People will use these roads for other than their intended purposes, even if it's posted. Thus, I don't agree with too many new road building decisions. Plus, projects that go through or alongside a road make NEPA easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back