CO unit help- where to go?

lifesupport4u

I have been hunting GMU 53 but the vegetation is so dense it has made for difficult time spotting and stalking. We get in the elk every year but its so tough to close the distance.

I am trying to find a no points first or second choice hunt. I camp in a wall tent. I am not afraid to put some miles on and to get into steep country. I want to get away from the crowds.

I am looking specifically at the Delores area and also near Pagosa.

Open to any help I can get.

QUOTE=lifesupport4u;2581291]I have been hunting GMU 53 but the vegetation is so dense it has made for difficult time spotting and stalking. We get in the elk every year but its so tough to close the distance.

I am trying to find a no points first or second choice hunt. I camp in a wall tent. I am not afraid to put some miles on and to get into steep country. I want to get away from the crowds.

I am looking specifically at the Delores area and also near Pagosa.

Open to any help I can get.[/QUOTE]

Unit 74 but still heavy vegitation and steep country.

Is this a archery or rifle hunt you're planning? I'm curious where you're looking at around Pagosa? Some of that area to the North is Unit 76, which is one of Colorado's trophy areas with many points to draw in to. The area East of Pagosa borders the great South San Juan Wilderness, and is one of my favorite areas to recreate. I live on the other side of the continental divide though from Pagosa.

In 2015 I drew 54 with no points. I couldn't close the deal in the West Elks with a nice bull but I did get into elk.

I have been hunting GMU 53 but the vegetation is so dense it has made for difficult time spotting and stalking. We get in the elk every year but its so tough to close the distance.

Sounds like you're in the right spot. Not a lot of elk in Colorado that you'll find in the open. Most units will be the same, elk in thick cover or fairly inaccessible country...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back