PEAX Equipment

CO sheep/goat points worth it?

Toofdoc

So I’ve maxed out on the 3 preference points for both species. Now I accumulate weighted points, right? So that means I got to burn $100/point plus the add on stuff each year. I’m 44 years old. I feel like I’ll never get enough points weighted or otherwise. Anyone think I should give up or do I have a chance if I play the game another 25 years?
Thoughts?

So I’ve maxed out on the 3 preference points for both species. Now I accumulate weighted points, right? So that means I got to burn $100/point plus the add on stuff each year. I’m 44 years old. I feel like I’ll never get enough points weighted or otherwise. Anyone think I should give up or do I have a chance if I play the game another 25 years?
Thoughts?
CO bonus point odds are tough to calculate, my understanding is that CO bonus points are more helpful than MT bonus points but are certainly not guaranteed like the pref points.

I know a guy who drew with 3+2 for sheep.
To that end I buy points and I’m 33, you have to play the game.

I have no illusions when I get to 3+17 it will still be 3% odds.

Thoughts?
You have to decide if it’s worth the expense to you to go from somewhere like <0.5% odds to single digits over a decade plus. I’m just applying every year at 3+1 and will do something else with my $100s instead of buying points.

I really can't say how the bonus point system figures into it, but I can just relate my story for reference. I started putting in for sheep permits in Washington when I was 14 and finally drew a permit 42 years later. It was really tough for a few years in the middle as the WDFW made us front the money (several hundred $$) for the tag. That was especially hard when you have a growing family and the duties that go along with them. They finally stopped that, but it can still take a lot of time and luck to draw. I guess my point, if there is one, is if you feel you can afford it, stay in the game. I never even considered looking into other states for sheep, goat, and moose, but I wish I would have.

I believe it was toprut that ran an article a couple of years ago that was very insightful. According to the article, after thousands & thousands of simulations, toprut concluded that CO’s weighted preference point system essentially behaved like a bonus point system. The increase in a single applicant’s odds over time grew more or less linearly. The increase over time wasn’t drastic, which jives with a true bonus point system. Is an extra name in the hat worth $100 per year? That’s up to the applicant.

At this point I'll keep buying points in the hopes they change the system again to reward high point holders. Only time will tell if it's worth it, but I do like the idea of keeping some separation from the current 3+0 crop.

At this point I'll keep buying points in the hopes they change the system again to reward high point holders. Only time will tell if it's worth it, but I do like the idea of keeping some separation from the current 3+0 crop.
What I wish they’d do is go back to requiring us nonresidents to front the tag fees with a paper check.

For a nonresident, unless you plan on moving here someday (and you do get to keep your points if you change status), you need to have that $100/species as extra in your bank account and not have ANYWHERE else it can be put to use (like saving $300 extra/year for a dall sheep hunt).

If they go back to fronting tag fees, you'll see a huge drop in applications, but that seems like a long shot.

Last edited:
For a nonresident, unless you plan on moving here someday (and you do get to keep your points if you change status), you need to have that $100/species as extra in your bank account and not have ANYWHERE else it can be put to use (like saving $300 extra/a year for a dall sheep hunt).

If they go back to fronting tag fees, you'll see a huge drop in applications, but that seems like a long shot.
The only reason I’m building NR points for the big 3 in Colorado is I plan on being a resident again within the next few years. If not, I’d only be building points for mt goat as it’s my only true bucket list species.

For a nonresident, unless you plan on moving here someday (and you do get to keep your points if you change status), you need to have that $100/species as extra in your bank account and not have ANYWHERE else it can be put to use (like saving $300 extra/a year for a dall sheep hunt).

Lol your point but doing the math yeah $300, probably isn’t gonna cut it. If someone had put $300 a year into a invest portfolio for me from the day I was born till now I might be able to afford a sheep hunt tomorrow. 30 years from now I bet the going rate will be 65k+

I drew sheep in 2019 with 3+0 as a resident. Very lucky and very thankful! As a resident, I still buy PPs for my wife and I for moose, goat, and sheep, but wold not if we were non-residents at $100 each. I personally don't see the benefit.

Good luck in the draws, lightning can strike!

FWIW. I drew a NR Colorado sheep tag after applying for 10 years. Can't tell you how or why. It just happened. Same thing could happen for you. I've also drawn an Arizona Desert tag and an Arizona Rocky tag (I am an AZ resident). I paid the $$$ for Dall's sheep in Alaska and much bigger $$$$ for Stone's in BC. I went twice for 28 days hunting and didn't see a legal ram!!! But like I said it can happen for you. I have four sheep on the wall but the mostly useless BC game dept took my tags back (probably afraid I'd hunt on my own). If I had them I would have mounted both on a plaque with a picture of a nice Stone's ram and put it on my sheep wall. GJ

For the money involved, probably not. I am like 3-16 or something like that...but to get to 3-14 it cost me a couple dollars each year when you had to front tag fees. To get to 3-16 on the new system for S/G/M it'll cost you $400/year. So for 20 years worth of points you will be in it $8000 (for the prices now which will go up) for odds likely under 2%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back