Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO Preference Point / Reg question

nhn2a

I'm a nonresident looking to build more preference points in CO this year and just applied for Deer, Elk, and Pronghorn preference points. I know previously I paid the $40 fee (after my tag fee was returned) for each species and was planning on paying it again this year. However, I drew a tag for Deer last year and hunted it which included a fishing license. In reading the regulation it says "If you don’t want to pay the fee, you have until March 31, 2018, to purchase a 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license. Customers are also exempt if they held any big game license the previous year, or draw a license of the same species as which they would be charged the point in the current year."

So in reading this, am I correct that I wont have to pay the preference point fees this year for any species since I had a license last year or am I misinterpreting it? Also if I am reading it correctly, why would I not go ahead and apply for all species knowing I'm exempted from the preference point fee even though I don't currently plan to hunt bear for instance and had no desire to build points other than its free this year?

I feel like I'm missing something but I've read the section several times and it sounds pretty straight forward.

Correct. If you had any 2017 fishing or hunting license you are exempt from the PP fee in 2018.

Also if I am reading it correctly, why would I not go ahead and apply for all species knowing I'm exempted from the preference point fee even though I don't currently plan to hunt bear for instance and had no desire to build points other than its free this year?

I feel like I'm missing something but I've read the section several times and it sounds pretty straight forward.

Good point. I wonder if any other applicants will reach this conclusion and apply in #s never before imagined. And when they do, will point creep become point leap? And if it does, will people be dumping points like there is no next year?

Good point. I wonder if any other applicants will reach this conclusion and apply in #s never before imagined. And when they do, will point creep become point leap? And if it does, will people be dumping points like there is no next year?

I was wondering this exact same thing. I wonder what the effect of point creep will have under the new system where you only have to pay for an application fee of $3 per species. I think having to pay the full amount and wait on a reimbursement would probably dissuade a lot of people from buying species they aren't really interested in but under the new system this seems like it could quickly get out of hand.

So in reading this, am I correct that I wont have to pay the preference point fees this year for any species since I had a license last year or am I misinterpreting it? Also if I am reading it correctly, why would I not go ahead and apply for all species knowing I'm exempted from the preference point fee even though I don't currently plan to hunt bear for instance and had no desire to build points other than its free this year?

Shhh... ;) You are correct though. It's a good deal and won't last long in my opinion. It will also inflate the number of applicants if they continue it. Good example of how states change. For better or worse depends on who you ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back