PEAX Equipment

CO Mule Deer Early Rifle Hunt

Wheaty17

Anyone planning on an early season rifle hunt in CO high country around Eagle? I have the points to draw a tag and was curious if anyone else has the points that is also contemplating this early September hunt in some trophy country. If so, would anyone want to partner up? My goal is to harvest a mature buck that represents the area well and have a super memorable time in a picturesque setting.

Has anyone done this early rifle hunt before? Any gear tips?

I'm putting in for that area. I would take you up on your offer, Unfortunatly I don't have the points to do the early rifle. My plan is to build points until I draw a 3rd season and maybe do muzzleloader once to learn the unit while I wait.

When I go I plan on renting some of squirrels lama's so I can enjoy the Colorado easy life where my back is not the pack animal.

How many points are you sitting on? I'm looking at draw odds right now trying to guess how long it will take to get a 3rd season.

I think that early rifle would be incredible!

Good luck!

Hey Wheaty17...I've been thinking about a high country hunt in that area for some time. I have the points to draw, but I didn't have anyone to go with. I've been going back and fourth with what I want to do with my points and a high country hunt does sound exciting as I know I'll probably only do it once in my lifetime.

I don't know about the eagle area but we have gotten a lot of snow this year in Colorado. Before you waste your points you might want to see how the deer herd is doing in that area. A lot of winter kill for the deer I've heard.

I've thought about applying for that tag as well. From what other guys have said though, with the season pushed back a week, the bucks start to move into the timber with the hunting pressure and can be a lot tougher to find. IIRC, somebody started a thread last year about an early rifle hunt and said that none of the NRs that drew a tag was successful in filling their tav. Don't know how he knew that but I believe that's what he said.

I have not done it, but if you are referring to the 44 early hunt, I would suggest a lot of research first. It's not an easy hunt, as the majority of deer do not summer above timberline. I know some very good hunters that have gotten their butts kicked on that hunt. Take a look at the harvest stats and you will see that it appears many hunters do not even choose to hunt (I assume they turn the tags in). The stats show that in 2015, 5 hunters took 3 bucks; in 2014, 6 hunters took 3 bucks; and in 2013, 4 hunters took 0 bucks. There were 15 licenses each year.

I did notice what you are saying. The hunt sounds epic but I figured there has to be a reason why it only takes 5 points to draw. Right now I'm sitting on 7 points and can draw that hunt or a unit I'm more familiar with. Problem is that it's not 100% draw odds, it's archery, and I don't feel real comfortable shooting beyond 35yds. I hunt that unit for elk and have seen a few good bucks but I'd have to relearn the area for deer as I don't see many in the elk spots.

What I think I am going to do is put in for another point and skip Colorado entirely this year and give Montana a try. I want to see if my 68 year old dad can finally down a bull archery hunting. If he can't, then at least I can try to get back with he and my son and the 3 of us can try to find a few deer or an elk in the late season.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have 7 points and don't really want to put in for too many more. I just don't think the hunt I'd find at nearly 20 points is that much better than what I can get around 8(if that makes sense). I thought this year would be good because people struggled last year due to the heat.
I think I may be leaning in another direction now. Thanks for you reply.

I have done a few of the high country early season rifle hunts. The biggest challenge I've found is simply finding the deer in some really rough country. I am sure you are aware of that. You asked about gear tips. My suggestion would be good rain gear. On every hunt I've done in the high country we have been hammered by thunderstorms. Good luck and I hope you find a big one!

I have done a few of the high country early season rifle hunts. The biggest challenge I've found is simply finding the deer in some really rough country. I am sure you are aware of that. You asked about gear tips. My suggestion would be good rain gear. On every hunt I've done in the high country we have been hammered by thunderstorms. Good luck and I hope you find a big one!

Rain gear was definitely a priority. I figured finding the deer was going to be the biggest challenge. I think I'm going to try a different unit with archery that may not be as alpine. I've seen 185+ deer in that unit elk hunting. But, that was years ago and the area has since matured and I don't see the bucks as frequently anymore.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back