MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Co Gun bear with archery elk allowed?

Toofdoc

I’m thinking of getting CO OTC Archery elk but also a limited bear rifle this year. My plan is to hunt both while out there. I can’t find anything in the regs stating I can’t. Am I missing something? I don’t want the add on bear archery tag FYI. I know I can do that but would rather not.

You can do both as long as you follow all the rules for both; meaning if you're carrying a rifle (even strapped to your pack) you'll need all the appropriate orange. Also don't forget if you tag a bear, you'll need to come out of the woods to check it in at a CPW location.

I’m thinking of getting CO OTC Archery elk but also a limited bear rifle this year. My plan is to hunt both while out there. I can’t find anything in the regs stating I can’t. Am I missing something? I don’t want the add on bear archery tag FYI. I know I can do that but would rather not.
Yes you can.

The best way to do it is to just use your bow while your actively elk hunting. Once you tag out on the elk you can switch to rifle. This presumes that your packing in, if your driving from glassing point to glassing point you can have both weapons in the vehicle and your blaze on.

While legal, there have been some threads on this, hiking in with blaze on with a rifle on your pack and a bow is a bit of a PITA and warden's don't love it. You won't get a ticket, but it puts them in a weird position.

You have 5 business days to check a bear, so if you shoot it on Saturday evening you don't need to be at the check station till Friday. The need to pull a tooth with they check in your bear so putting a stick in the bears mouth is a good idea if your going to freeze it before you check it in, for instance rolling up the hide and putting it in a cooler with dry ice.

Does this follow for the add on tag as well? I was assuming the add on tag was for "like equipment" but wasnt 100% sure.

thanks,

Josh

Does this follow for the add on tag as well? I was assuming the add on tag was for "like equipment" but wasnt 100% sure.

thanks,

Josh
Correct. If you get a Archery add on bear tag then you have to use a bow.

You can do both as long as you follow all the rules for both; meaning if you're carrying a rifle (even strapped to your pack) you'll need all the appropriate orange. Also don't forget if you tag a bear, you'll need to come out of the woods to check it in at a CPW location.
Sept. Rifle bear hunters are exempt from the Orange regs. The only hunters required to wear orange in Sept. are muzzleloader hunters.

Sept. Rifle bear hunters are exempt from the Orange regs. The only hunters required to wear orange in Sept. are muzzleloader hunters.
NOT TRUE.

1622230670148.png

If you have a gun in your hand and you are attempting to fill a big game tag you must wear blaze orange or pink.

Archery hunters during Sept do not need to wear blaze orange, individuals with a limited bear tag or concurrent bear tag, that are using a bow to fill either of those tags do not need to wear blaze orange.

NOT TRUE.

View attachment 184394

If you have a gun in your hand and you are attempting to fill a big game tag you must wear blaze orange or pink.

Archery hunters during Sept do not need to wear blaze orange, individuals with a limited bear tag or concurrent bear tag, that are using a bow to fill either of those tags do not need to wear blaze orange.
Read page 15.

Last edited:
992A92A7-8CE2-4B13-A748-38B40DF80906.jpeg
Except for Limited Sept. rifle bear as stated on page 15 of the CPW regs.
I think it’s ridiculous that CO allows rifle bear hunters, archery hunters and turkey hunters to go without blaze but force the muzzleloader hunters who are afield at the same time to wear orange. Are they only concerned about muzzleloader hunters shooting each other?

Except for Limited Sept. rifle bear as stated on page 15 of the CPW regs.
I think it’s ridiculous that CO allows rifle bear hunters, archery hunters and turkey hunters to go without blaze but force the muzzleloader hunters who are afield at the same time to wear orange. Are they only concerned about muzzleloader hunters shooting each other?
Ah, that is worded in a confusing manner.

What it's saying is that if an archery hunter is hunting during ANY rifle season, so if you draw a 4th season mule deer tag for instance and want to use a bow, you still have to wear blaze.

But during the specific "Archery season" which overlaps the Sept limited rifle bear season, archery hunters do not have to wear blaze.

Rifle bear hunters have to wear blaze as well, as they are rifle hunters, hunting a rifle season.

Ah, that is worded in a confusing manner.

What it's saying is that if an archery hunter is hunting during ANY rifle season, so if you draw a 4th season mule deer tag for instance and want to use a bow, you still have to wear blaze.

But during the specific "Archery season" which overlaps the Sept limited rifle bear season, archery hunters do not have to wear blaze.

Rifle bear hunters have to wear blaze as well, as they are rifle hunters, hunting a rifle season.
🤷‍♂️ Probably best to ask the warden for the area you’ll be hunting.
I’ll probably keep a blaze hat on for my archery deer hunt.

🤷‍♂️ Probably best to ask the warden for the area you’ll be hunting.
I’ll probably keep a blaze hat on for my archery deer hunt.
Born here ;)

and yeah that's a smart idea, I've had muzzy hunters stalk into my cow calls. Having a gun pointed at you sucks.

I'm going to ask them about the Sept rifle bear hunt. I never noticed that before. I hunt that and use a muzzleloader. I always wore blaze orange but it sure looks like it says I don't have to.
I'm in solitude and don't worry about other hunters. It's hard to re-enact the old mountain men when wearing the blasted blaze orange.

I'm going to ask them about the Sept rifle bear hunt. I never noticed that before. I hunt that and use a muzzleloader. I always wore blaze orange but it sure looks like it says I don't have to.
I'm in solitude and don't worry about other hunters. It's hard to re-enact the old mountain men when wearing the blasted blaze orange.
The law states that everyone with a rifle, muzzy or centerfire, has to wear blaze. Call alway that’s the law, it’s been that way for decades. Every year I see people flout it every year I see people get tickets.

Only time you don’t have to wear orange is if you are hunting an archery tag in an archery season. If you are using anything but a vertical bow you need orange.

One exception that I have found is goat and sheep tags, and my guess is that is why they make a separate brochure for those two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back