Caribou Gear Tarp

Co Gun bear with archery elk allowed?

Yes, they need to make it clearer. I'm not sure why a bow hunter would be hunting the rifle bear season. The archery bear tag is the exact same dates.
I hunt the rifle bear season with a muzzleloader because the muzzy bear tag is only 9 days long and has the muzzy restrictions. Hunting the rifle season gives me 30 days and no muzzy restrictions.

A bow hunter has nothing to gain by hunting the rifle season, except maybe it might be an easier tag to get.

Leave it to the DOW to confuse a simple matter.

Thanks for checking.

Yes, they need to make it clearer. I'm not sure why a bow hunter would be hunting the rifle bear season. The archery bear tag is the exact same dates.
I hunt the rifle bear season with a muzzleloader because the muzzy bear tag is only 9 days long and has the muzzy restrictions. Hunting the rifle season gives me 30 days and no muzzy restrictions.

A bow hunter has nothing to gain by hunting the rifle season, except maybe it might be an easier tag to get.

Leave it to the DOW to confuse a simple matter.

Thanks for checking.
The one that get's me is that in a bunch of units you can get a Limited Muzzy or Archery B tag, then a limited rifle B tag, then as many private land tags as you want... so in most of the state you can kill 2 bears, some units as many as you want, but yet we don't have an OTC bear tag.

Compound that with the fact that CPW hands out depredation permits like lollipops. One of the ranches over in the flat tops area killed 85 bears in 3 years. Which is like double what hunters were harvesting.

It's a mess.

Flexibility. A bear is more a target of opportunity. You can archery hunt elk and if you come across a bear you have a tag. If you get an elk, you can then switch to using a rifle for the bear.

------

I think it would be silly to carry both at the same time.

I hope it is clear at this point that you MUST be wearing orange if you're hunting a rifle bear tag, regardless of the weapon you're carrying.

I agree the recent "clarification" in the booklet made things worse, not clearer.

Last edited:
Flexibility. A bear is more a target of opportunity. You can archery hunt elk and if you come across a bear you have a tag. If you get an elk, you can then switch to using a rifle for the bear.

I think it would be silly to carry both at the same time.

I hope it is clear at this point that you MUST be wearing orange if you're hunting a rifle bear tag, regardless of the weapon you're carrying.

I agree the recent "clarification" in the booklet made things worse, not clearer.

Huh? How is having an archery bear tag any different than have a rifle bear tag and using your bow? Opportunity doesn't change.

I always knew BO had to be worn and I would wear it even if I didn't have to. I just like to be sure of all the laws and the law seemed wrong as written.

Huh? How is having an archery bear tag any different than have a rifle bear tag and using your bow? Opportunity doesn't change.

Because with the archery bear tag, you can't break out the gun after you shoot an elk with your bow.

I suppose but bows kill bears just fine.

What if you see a bear while hunting for an elk with the bow? If i'm using a bow i'd prefer to use it for everything. The same as I do with a muzzleloader.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back