Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

CO Draw Question (newb)

MtnElk

I've read the CO Big Game book back to front several times and I cannot figure this out for the life of me: If I don't really care if I pull a buck / bull or a doe / cow tag... does it make more sense to lead with the Doe / cow tag (B license) as option 1 to get in that pool earlier? Or should you always list A licenses first - even if you'd be just as happy with the B tag?

This question is primarily driving my secondary draw strategy (which is a long shot because of the youth demand), but could play into primary draws down the road as I strategize between points / units.

Thanks (there is a strong chance this is a really obvious answer, but its escaping me, I blame it on the last few days worth of CO Big Game guide + GoHunt + OnX)

I've read the CO Big Game book back to front several times and I cannot figure this out for the life of me: If I don't really care if I pull a buck / bull or a doe / cow tag... does it make more sense to lead with the Doe / cow tag (B license) as option 1 to get in that pool earlier? Or should you always list A licenses first - even if you'd be just as happy with the B tag?

This question is primarily driving my secondary draw strategy (which is a long shot because of the youth demand), but could play into primary draws down the road as I strategize between points / units.

Thanks (there is a strong chance this is a really obvious answer, but its escaping me, I blame it on the last few days worth of CO Big Game guide + GoHunt + OnX)
Go for the A tag first. There are way too many B tags that go leftover to pick from

Colorado is a preference point state where everyone’s first choice is considered before anyone’s second choice comes into play. So, it makes it pretty straightforward. Check out the “Drawn Out” reports on the Statistics page to see how hard it was to draw the tag you’re seeking. For elk, as an example, some B tags (i.e. GMU 201 cow muzzleloader) are harder to draw than some A tags (i.e. 75 first rifle bull).

Certainly, on average, the A tags are harder to draw, but where/when you want to hunt matters a lot.

Colorado is a preference point state where everyone’s first choice is considered before anyone’s second choice comes into play. So, it makes it pretty straightforward. Check out the “Drawn Out” reports on the Statistics page to see how hard it was to draw the tag you’re seeking. For elk, as an example, some B tags (i.e. GMU 201 cow muzzleloader) are harder to draw than some A tags (i.e. 75 first rifle bull).

Certainly, on average, the A tags are harder to draw, but where/when you want to hunt matters a lot.

there, you stated it way better than I asked it. That's what I was trying to figure out - that #1 choices are analyzed across the board, then #2, #3, etc. Which now in hindsight makes sense lol. (need to step away from the computer ha)

there, you stated it way better than I asked it. That's what I was trying to figure out - that #1 choices are analyzed across the board, then #2, #3, etc. Which now in hindsight makes sense lol. (need to step away from the computer ha)
It’s not a stupid question because every state does this differently. AZ looks at your first two choices before moving onto the next applicant. NM your first three. NV your first five. But CO, MT, WY, others just analyze first choices before ever giving consideration to anyone’s second choice.

Make your first choice count in CO!

It’s not a stupid question because every state does this differently. AZ looks at your first two choices before moving onto the next applicant. NM your first three. NV your first five. But CO, MT, WY, others just analyze first choices before ever giving consideration to anyone’s second choice.

Make your first choice count in CO!
Thanks for sending over that link for Drawn Out by the way... definitely just changed my order for Elk and Mule Deer. Appreciate it!

If you would be equally as happy with a B tag, simply put in for an impossible ask choice 1, then a sure bet B for 2nd or 3rd choice. You get your PP and a tag and are happy. Every couple years treat yourself to a low-point bull tag in a decent unit, and maybe still pull another cow tag in same unit and go hunt. Now if you have a particular unit in mind with only so-so 2nd choice odds, or need to guarantee a tag if hunting with a party of friends, you can always put that in for a 1st choice when you have zero points and go for it in an “off” year. But why waste points if 2nd or 3rd choice will get you the tag. Wash rinse repeat until they rug pull the quotas and you have to rethink strategy all over, LOL!

If you would be equally as happy with a B tag, simply put in for an impossible ask choice 1, then a sure bet B for 2nd or 3rd choice. You get your PP and a tag and are happy. Every couple years treat yourself to a low-point bull tag in a decent unit, and maybe still pull another cow tag in same unit and go hunt. Now if you have a particular unit in mind with only so-so 2nd choice odds, or need to guarantee a tag if hunting with a party of friends, you can always put that in for a 1st choice when you have zero points and go for it in an “off” year. But why waste points if 2nd or 3rd choice will get you the tag. Wash rinse repeat until they rug pull the quotas and you have to rethink strategy all over, LOL!
Solid point and you mentioned exactly what happened: I am trying to tie into a buddy's hunt and hoping to have at least some tag in my pocket while I'm out with them. Otherwise happy to spend the year learning and being a pack mule. Thanks!

Solid point and you mentioned exactly what happened: I am trying to tie into a buddy's hunt and hoping to have at least some tag in my pocket while I'm out with them. Otherwise happy to spend the year learning and being a pack mule. Thanks!
Ok if you dont draw secondary then keep your eye on the reissues as the summer progresses. you might still get lucky. Watch deer elk and antelope in those overlapping seasons and its not too hard to hunt something every year. Eventually it WILL be hard to hunt every year so enjoy it now while it lasts.

Bear tag might be easy to get as well! And there is usually small
game. Grouse is arguably as fun as the big stuff!

Ok if you dont draw secondary then keep your eye on the reissues as the summer progresses. you might still get lucky. Watch deer elk and antelope in those overlapping seasons and its not too hard to hunt something every year. Eventually it WILL be hard to hunt every year so enjoy it now while it lasts.

Bear tag might be easy to get as well!
This, you probably won’t be successful in the secondary, it’s a big joke IMHO all the tags go to dudes who want to hunt their… I mean kids tags go to kids ;)

But yeah last year basically no tags went to adults.

After the secondary draw CPW will reissue returned tags, these tags you have a chance at.

yeah at this point everything hinges on getting lucky + having an OTC elk tag. Hopefully a nice elk walks by while I'm helping them glass for mule deer 🤣

This, you probably won’t be successful in the secondary, it’s a big joke IMHO all the tags go to dudes who want to hunt their… I mean kids tags go to kids ;)

But yeah last year basically no tags went to adults.

After the secondary draw CPW will reissue returned tags, these tags you have a chance at.
Exactly. Probably more like:
1657210675708.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back