Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO Deer: Wind, Treasures, and... Wind

all done

it's funny - every time i start a diy euro i'm like "i really hate this, why do i do this"

once it's done i'm like, dang that's really satisfying, i wanna do another. and then start stupidly texting friends if they need any done.

i had to do a tad bit of touch up staining, which is showing a little shine at the base, not to mention it just got licked. but i'll need to muff that up a little.

IMG-8561.JPG

IMG-8566.JPG

all done

it's funny - every time i start a diy euro i'm like "i really hate this, why do i do this"

once it's done i'm like, dang that's really satisfying, i wanna do another. and then start stupidly texting friends if they need any done.

i had to do a tad bit of touch up staining, which is showing a little shine at the base, not to mention it just got licked. but i'll need to muff that up a little.

View attachment 202874

View attachment 202873
That looks great. Same here, I got my first elk ever this year and started the Euro and as I was starting told my wife, im just going to skull cap it, fortunately she talked me out of it and it turned out good. It takes a minute to remember the little tricks.

What color stain did you use?

minwax early american

i was looking for minwax provincial several years ago, as recommended by whitebone creations. couldn't find it at the time so grabbed early american. it's been decent enough on the euros i've done i've just kept using it. though i i think i'll start giving provincial a try next year.

i'm still trying to perfect the wrap to just avoid staining in the first place. but i have yet to perfect it. teflon tape is great, but i need to find wider teflon tape, and the stuff just shreds as you take it off which is super tedious.

Great write up and congrats on the buck. Nice job on the Euro too. I rushed a shot and made a bad first hit on my bucl this year too, first time in probably 15 years, but luckily he went down immediately and I followed up with a good shot.

Congrats, looks like a fun hunt in some really cool country. I, like just about everyone else, have made a few bad shots as well. It happens.

i got my deer all taken care of. loaded the entire thing into my pack and was starting the trek back to the truck by about 3:50. holy cow is it nice to shoot a deer in the middle of the day. there's another first.

but i still had about three miles back and i was going with the whole deer on my back or not going at all.

i was still all smiles.

View attachment 201971
Thanks for sharing great story and nice treasures!

i'm still trying to perfect the wrap to just avoid staining in the first place. but i have yet to perfect it. teflon tape is great, but i need to find wider teflon tape, and the stuff just shreds as you take it off which is super tedious.
Turned out nice!

One trick- try less water, just up to the bases, then tuck paper towels over the still exposed parts of the skull under/around the bases. That wicks the hot water up over the top without submerging the antlers. That’s my trick, anyway. Always turns out good.

The only pic I have of what I’m talking about. It’s crappy but you can kind of get the gist of it.

77FC4359-7CFD-4BE0-83D2-3190F4A71400.jpeg

Turned out nice!

One trick- try less water, just up to the bases, then tuck paper towels over the still exposed parts of the skull under/around the bases. That wicks the hot water up over the top without submerging the antlers. That’s my trick, anyway. Always turns out good.

The only pic I have of what I’m talking about. It’s crappy but you can kind of get the gist of it.

View attachment 203145

thank you! good tip.

that's what i'll have to try from here on out. that was my 5th euro and 4th or 5th variation on antler wrapping, none have worked perfectly. it's as if hot, steamy, liquid and vapor can worm it's way into anything, who'd have thought... 😁 and then it makes it worse because the wrap just traps the water and/or peroxide under there and it climbs it's way up.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back