MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO Concurrent Rifle Tag Worth It?

Mason326

Hey all,

I am hunting for 2nd season mulies up near the co-wyoming border and always see bear scat in the area when I scout. I will be between 6,500-7,800' October 22-30. Would it even be worth getting a concurrent rifle bear tag? I am not familiar with their behavior patterns and am not really sure if they will still be out and foraging that late or if they will stay active longer. Does it depends on date/day length or weather conditions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mason

i would assume yours are about like the east coast bears where it's all a matter of weather conditions.

in PA bear season isn't until Thanksgiving week, we actually usually have a better season if there is a bit of snow on the ground as then you can check tracks. not sure when they usually den up but I would imagine you would still have a chance at bears if there is still a food source for them

What unit will this be? Are there still bear tags available? My unit had caps as I do believe most do during rifle seasons, so I would check that first. I got my tag early but my brother in law didn't!

I watched a bear check out a deer gut pile in the middle of Colorado's third season. But in all the years of hunting Colorado rifle seasons I think that was the only one. I get a tag just for the hell of it.

The boars will still be out and maybe the sows too. Use your muley gut pile to bait the bears. It's legal in Colorado as long as it's not moved. It has to stay at the kill sight.

I have hunted in Colorado the last 6 years in the second season. In those past season I have seen 4 bears myself and other bears have been spotted by other hunters in our group. I would say you would have a decent chance of seeing one.

Sounds pretty good, I appreciate the info. I was really unsure how long bears stayed out foraging, sounds like they are still out in early November so I think I will snag a tag. The bears we did have down in Texas didn't seem to truly hibernate!

It does have some left, it is in the Unit 7 bear OTC float group.

Just my 2 cents, but remember if you shoot a bear you will have to deal with it, which takes away valuable hunting time for deer/elk. Personally, a deer or elk is way more valuable to me and my household than a bear. I used to carry a bear tag during the rifle seasons, then I actually shot one. I had to skin it, quarter it, and pack it out, then go back to town. I lost about a day and a half of hunting. If you would be absolutely thrilled to get a bear, then I say go for it. If getting a deer or elk is more important to you than I would say pass.

If tags are left over you could always go pick one up if you tag out on your mule deer early enough.

That's a really good point. I hunt pretty far back so it probably wouldn't be feasible to run back to a CPW office and get a tag after getting a deer. I have the whole week to hunt and I should be able to keep the meat in good condition based on my experience last year. Would also be nice if I tagged out early and got to keep those vacation days for a longer elk season though!

Most guys hunt for the deer/elk first. If you get one then they hunt for bear. Plus, you can then use the gut pile as I said.

Don't forget you need to take the head and hide for the bear to a DOW office for inspection.

Not sure why the majorit think bear hunting is easy and they'll just get a tag and shoot abear. Bear success rate is something like 5% and those are hunters hunting for just bears.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking, focus on deer until I tag one and be opportunistic. Good tip on the inspection. Figured it won't be easy since I still have not seen one after two years in the field!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back