CO Archery Elk

warmer

My 2 sons and I have archery tags for Units 7, 8, 9, 19 and 191. Without giving away secrets can anyone give us a place to start? Will be our first trip to CO, first archery elk hunt.

I'm not familiar with those units. I'll throw out some pretty generic info that has gotten me into bulls before. As a general rule, I would look at north facing slopes with good dark timber. The further from the trails and roads the better. Generally, I like to look for the springy wet areas, that will be the origin of those small streams and seeps toward the bottom. These wet areas up in the timber, will usually have several wallows scattered about, and will often be quite open, with a fair amount of green grass that will hold the bulls. My buddy and I have zeroed in on a couple of tiny honey holes using Google earth even before leaving home.

never been where your going and last year was the first I have hunted elk...but that philosophy was what I used and it seemed to work ok...good luck

My son and I will be scouting the next few months and let ya know. PM me and can give you my thoughts, then you can do per above, google earth and start researchin'!

And ....congrats, and good luck on your 1st OYOA!!!! Remember : any elk is a tropy on your 1st trip imo if its brown, put it down!!!! . note : Do NOT SHOOT A MOOSE. there are lots of moose up here - my son snapped his 1st shot of a young bull Sunday :) Good luck.
Question - when do you plan to come eary late middle?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back