CO 2nd season!!

Last year it was the same way ShootsmanyBullets. it was warm most of the season. This year we will also have the moon as well.

Last year it was the same way ShootsmanyBullets. it was warm most of the season. This year we will also have the moon as well.

Yeah, it looks to be very warm (Highs in the 50's!).. The full moon also starts the day after 1st rifle starts, so that sucks.. Looks like I will be hitting the dark timber pretty hard as I'm sure they will be bedded for most of the day being as warm as it is and the full moon to their advantage.

In 5 years of hunting second season, I've only seen snow on two days. I decided not to hunt second season this year. :D

Yeah it seems like the weather is warm pretty often for 2nd season. I remember snow once on 2nd season.

Just going to have to go deeper and steeper this year.

What GMU are you hunting? Southern Colorado?

In reading about your hunt plans, just curious what area you're hunting? For some reason, I came to think you were hunting in the area where I live, but then I can't see anything here that says that. Perhaps I got you confused with someone else?

Yeah, it looks to be very warm (Highs in the 50's!).. The full moon also starts the day after 1st rifle starts, so that sucks.. Looks like I will be hitting the dark timber pretty hard as I'm sure they will be bedded for most of the day being as warm as it is and the full moon to their advantage.

I hear you! Dark Timber we must go. Hopefully we can keep our streak going. we have killed elk or deer every year. As I am telling you this I am knocking on wood. haha

In reading about your hunt plans, just curious what area you're hunting? For some reason, I came to think you were hunting in the area where I live, but then I can't see anything here that says that. Perhaps I got you confused with someone else?

We are hunting unit 47. For Bulls and Bucks! You?

I'll be out 2nd rifle with a cow tag with another Hunttalker and a buddy of mine. My first time in the area and my buddy's first ever elk hunt (he's got a cow and bull tag), so it should prove to be quite the adventure.

I'll be out 2nd rifle with a cow tag with another Hunttalker and a buddy of mine. My first time in the area and my buddy's first ever elk hunt (he's got a cow and bull tag), so it should prove to be quite the adventure.

What unit?

Good luck to all. My only hunt in Colorado was first rifle and the second night of the season it started snowing and when I crawled out the the next morning snow was knee deep. It was also in the teens at night. I guess elevation has a lot to do with it also.

Dunno where all you guys are hunting, but if you're in Unit 80, or near Monte Vista, and need something packed out, the horses are looking for an adventure! Ha!

I have 3 weeks yet before my trip to Colorado.I have a 3rd season deer tag in unit 62.Curious to hear all your reports from 2nd season.I'm on the fence about grabbing an elk tag for my hunt.If u guys have a tough 2nd season,I think it'll b worth having an elk tag

Dunno where all you guys are hunting, but if you're in Unit 80, or near Monte Vista, and need something packed out, the horses are looking for an adventure! Ha!

I wish you were a little closer I may take you up on that if we would kill.

Heading out Friday am with an old friend...the first elk hunt for both of us. SW CO in unit 70, second rifle. Good luck and be safe everyone!

Heading out Friday am with an old friend...the first elk hunt for both of us. SW CO in unit 70, second rifle. Good luck and be safe everyone!

Good luck to you!! are you hunting just elk or do you have deer tags?

Wow! It amazes me how far some of you guys travel to hunt these critters. I am down to under a six-hour drive this year to hunt elk. I normally do 10 hours and that seems like a lot to me. I stay home for the deer!;)

Many of you will drive right by my house, seven miles east of North Platte, north side of the interstate, big house on a hill.

Full coolers to you all!

Last edited:
Wow! It amazes me how far some of you guys travel to hunt these critters. I am down to under a six-hour drive this year to hunt elk. I normally do 10 hours and that seems like a lot to me. I stay home for the deer!;)

Many of you will drive right by my house, seven miles east of North Platte, north side of the interstate, big house on a hill.

Full coolers to you all!

I will be sure to wave as I drive past tomorrow afternoon

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back