Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

CO 25/26 2nd Season

BuckRut

I put in for the unit 25/26 2nd season tag this year. Any advice to avoid what crowds there will be? What kind of crowds am I looking at as well?

You’ll be looking at big crowds. The elk hunters will be everywhere, and most of them throw a deer tag in their pocket.

I've never hunted those units but overall 2nd rifle sees pretty high traffic. Look to get away from roads as much as you can. This doesn't necessarily need to mean mileage, but any sort of landscape feature that will deter people (steep off trail access, a creek crossing, etc.). It also seems everyone drives to the end of a forest service road and then hikes from there. It can be beneficial to park along side a road and access an area from a different point as the other hunters. Also, google those units and see what places people write about. I'd be inclined to avoid those places....

Lots a people. As stated above many will also have a deer tag as well. Get out way before sunrise and stay out until dark. I would also consider a spike camp but if you have all 9 days to hunt I would not commit every day to one area. Staying positive can be one of the toughest things to do during second season. Good Luck!

Back