Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Close Calls and Scary Stories

Back in the 70's in New Mexico, state issued a tag that was good for bear, turkey and deer. Saw turkeys, deer, but not bear.

Brother and I were deer hunting. Topped a rise and some ignoramus shot into a flock of turkeys just over the rise.

Did not get hit, but I did hug dirt. Never met the ignoramus.

In the spirit of the new book by Meateater narrating close calls while hunting, I would be interested in hearing some of y’alls close calls and scary stories from hunts. For me aside from snakes the one that sticks out is stepping on a gator while duck hunting in late November. The alligator never moved an inch so it was fairly uneventful but needless to say the inside of my waders were one shade of brown darker.
i had a similar encounter in rochester IN

Had two more last weekend deer hunting.

We have a stand we call “Death Ridge” that is a 25ft stand on a 60-80ft bluff. The front side of the tree is 25ft down, the back is 100+ to the bottom. It is terrifying to sit in, but the deer never get down wind.

I was on the top section of the ladder sticks and had one hand on the stand getting ready to climb in. Heard a pop and the top strap broke and the latter came away from the tree. Luckily I had a harness clipped into a safeline and a good grip with one hand on the stand. I was able to climb down, but the first few feet were sketchy.

The next morning, climbing into a completely different stand, I had a weld fail on step on a brand new climbing stick. Luckily I had both hand holds and a harness and safeline.

20 years of climbing in and out of stands and I’ve never had a failure like that. Had two less than 17 hours a part.

Had two more last weekend deer hunting.

We have a stand we call “Death Ridge” that is a 25ft stand on a 60-80ft bluff. The front side of the tree is 25ft down, the back is 100+ to the bottom. It is terrifying to sit in, but the deer never get down wind.

I was on the top section of the ladder sticks and had one hand on the stand getting ready to climb in. Heard a pop and the top strap broke and the latter came away from the tree. Luckily I had a harness clipped into a safeline and a good grip with one hand on the stand. I was able to climb down, but the first few feet were sketchy.

The next morning, climbing into a completely different stand, I had a weld fail on step on a brand new climbing stick. Luckily I had both hand holds and a harness and safeline.

20 years of climbing in and out of stands and I’ve never had a failure like that. Had two less than 17 hours a part.
And you had a plan B in both cases that saved your skin. I wonder how many accidents are prevented by safety gear annually?

I will never hunt without one and won’t let anyone in my group hunt without one. I also set mine up so you never have to unclip. Literal life savers.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back