Cleaning a gun...

Moosie

Grand poopa
How often do ya clean a gun on a 3 week trip ? I'm guessing with the Moisture alot of oil needs to keep the rust from forming ?

Mossie.....regardless whether you fire your rifle or not, the minimum you should do is run a lightly oiled patch through daily.....if you are on a stalk where conditions are unfavorable to your weapon, run a patch through before firing, if possible. If you have cleaned your barrel thoroughly after sighting in.....you should get 20 - 25 rounds through before another thorough cleaning is needed. I like the drop through floss cleaner for in the field....easy to carry, perfect for a clogged barrel, or to dry a barrel out. Keep your rifle at constant weather conditions (don't take inside a heated shelter at night) to avoid condensation. Keep your weapon as dry as possible...Good Luck!

Most hunters use the stainless up here. Not many of my hunters bring blued guns any more. I T-coated my blued 45/70 and am very impressed. Some locals even have stainless T-coated.

Take a kit-n-kabootle.

"Take a picture of you gun, it will never look the same again" is what I tell all my hunters. You should here the guys with the $4000 custom guns squeel. "OH my baby, Oh my baby".

That's the reason Guides guns look the way they do !!!!!

Muskeg, I just WON a new Remington Modle 700 300 Win MAg :

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700lss.htm

700LSS.JPG

The Model 700™ LSS is for those who want all-weather stock stability and performance, but prefer the warmth and feel of wood. Its exceptionally strong and stable resin-impregnated laminated design complements the stainless-steel barreled action with light and dark gray tones which blends beautifully with the satin-finished silver of unblued stainless metal. Includes Monte Carlo comb with cheekpiece, and hinged magazine floorplate.

It's topped with a nikon 3x9 like in this picture but the Silver :

i710871sq01.jpg

Hopefully it will be OK for a crap gun
wink.gif
It's far from the 4k gun, HELL, I didn't pay 4k for the Moose/bou combo let alone for a stinking gun
eek.gif

Whitedeer, I'll bring a cloth just for that, good Idea !!

THANX for the info bud !!

Don't forget to use black electrical tape on the end of your barrel. I wrap extra arond the base of the barrel to use after I shoot.

You cannot afford the time to stop and clean your barrel (or even look to see it's clear) when a big Bear is bearing down on you.
eek.gif

I don't need a gun for the Bear.. thats why I have my knife
wink.gif

I have learned over the years about the black electrical tape. MAke a cross at the end and thenonce around it to keep it on. The scope will be covered with a high doller *CHUCKLE CHUCKLE* covering made out of Innertubes. We cut them out and If we Fling it off no worries about going back and getting them, becasue they are Way cheap
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanx for the Electrical tape reminder !!! I'll mark it on my list right now !!

I had a kimber 30-06 one time and that thing rusted worse than my blued rifle. That was some cheap stainless gun. Now my 338 is spray painted (havent had a problem with rust since then) and my co-pilot is parkerized (havent had to many problems with that either). I always tape the muzzle and bring a cleaning rod for that just in case scenario. Dont bring your rifle in the tent with you at night. Leave it outside under a tarp or something. The difference in temps + the condensation can cause it to rust real fast.

Not that I'm worried..
wink.gif
But shouldn't a guy sleep with his Gun in AK for the Big bad bear ?!?!?

Oscar I sleep so damn hard that I wouldnt hear a bear even if it was standing on my chest
biggrin.gif
We always have a gun in the tent. Usually its one of my rifles. I could care less about the looks of my rifles. In the morning I will wipe them down. When my rifles were blued I would always have surface rust on them. I try to take good care of my wifes rifle. Decent wood and her blueing is still good, so hers stays outside along a tree or something covered.

I always bring my gun in to the tent,and I have never had a problem with scopes or rust.I just wipe it down real good and lay it in the case,with the case left unclasped,pick it up in the morning and head back out,never had a bit of trouble or rust.

moosie, stop by yer local auto-zone or wal-mart and get a bottle of car polish,{not wax} take the stock off and de-grease the metal and scope. now apply polish and buff. do it again. put back together and you will be good to go for several weeks of nonstop rain. water will bead off like crazy. save the oil for inside the bore. oh yeah, give the bolt the same treatment. works everytime. twodot

THANX for the HELP guys. I picked up a little cleaning stuff for the guns. I'll make sure I got lots'a oil around too. Can't let the new "BABY" get all rusty on me. I need to come back and use it for a elk and deer
wink.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back