Yeti GOBOX Collection

Choosing your GPS unit.

Phones are just ok in hunting situations. GPS is the way to go.

I completely disagree. From my experience the phone is easier to use and has a better touch screen. Quite frankly I'd have a hard time justifying spending another few hundred $ on a GPS as I think the I phone is much more useful and built better IMO.

If I were a roadhunter, I would only use a phone too. Especially with that quick access to the USB charger, and a hands free device so you could listen to turn by turn directions with a gun out the window.

I carry a phone and a GPS - especially in the backcountry. But, the phone is a backup to the GPS, especially in inclement weather. No way am I going to rely on a cell phone when it is pouring rain or freezing cold. Battery drain, no service and general lack of touch screen functionality and over-all reliability are the reasons why my phone is a second or third backup (sat phone in really remote areas) in the backcountry. In fair weather and what I call the low country (where cell reception is good and my truck or civilization is nearby) my cell phone can be a gem to use. Best bet is to have your maps on both devices and have both with you in the event that one fails. That and the trusty old map and compass for the inevitable moment when nothing electronic seems to work.
-Cody

I carry a phone and a GPS - especially in the backcountry. But, the phone is a backup to the GPS, especially in inclement weather. No way am I going to rely on a cell phone when it is pouring rain or freezing cold. Battery drain, no service and general lack of touch screen functionality and over-all reliability are the reasons why my phone is a second or third backup (sat phone in really remote areas) in the backcountry. In fair weather and what I call the low country (where cell reception is good and my truck or civilization is nearby) my cell phone can be a gem to use. Best bet is to have your maps on both devices and have both with you in the event that one fails. That and the trusty old map and compass for the inevitable moment when nothing electronic seems to work.
-Cody

Phones do not have to have service to function as a GPS. Smart phones have a built in GPS receivers but if as you say your phone does not have a touch screen it may be an older unit without some features.

I completely disagree. From my experience the phone is easier to use and has a better touch screen. Quite frankly I'd have a hard time justifying spending another few hundred $ on a GPS as I think the I phone is much more useful and built better IMO.

Try using your phone when it's -10F...even with an 80% battery charge, my iphone 6 will go dead at that temp. Also, even with nice warm temps, the battery doesn't last. On a 5 day hunt I like to leave my GPS on all day so I can seen how far I walked, etc. My rechargeable battery in my Rino is good for 3 to 4 days being on all day...after that I have a battery pack that takes AA's to get you past the first 3-4 days.

I find the cell phone GPS service is finicky at best even when I cache the maps on my device. GPS is more reliable and bombproof IMO. I use one of the older Rhinos and although the screen isn't awesome it does what I need it to do and it's cool to be able to track your buddies if they're using rhinos too.

Try using your phone when it's -10F...even with an 80% battery charge, my iphone 6 will go dead at that temp. Also, even with nice warm temps, the battery doesn't last. On a 5 day hunt I like to leave my GPS on all day so I can seen how far I walked, etc. My rechargeable battery in my Rino is good for 3 to 4 days being on all day...after that I have a battery pack that takes AA's to get you past the first 3-4 days.

They both use Lithium Ion batteries so I'm not sure if one really works better in cold weather. Almost sounds like you have a bunk battery in your phone if it is going dead in warm weather.

There are also external battery packs and various chargers available for the I phone. This model says it will charge the phone 7 times off 1 charge.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-2nd-G...867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339843a043

i guess i use my GPS a little different than some of you.i have a rino that that has not been used since i figured out how to use a cell phone instead. this is my second phone my first one i carried 2 spare batteries and usually got 2/3days from a battery using camera, GPS and sometimes playing a little music in tent, also as my alarm. i do turn off my GPS signal after i see what i need to help save the battery. those spare batteries weigh about equal to 2AA batteries. if i managed my rino same way i would probably used proabably 6AA during same time so equal weight but don't have satellite mapping, plus weight savings of camera/batteries and plus possible communication device if you have signal. New phone will last same 2/3 days using same way but doesn't have interchangeable batteries, solar rechargeable powerbank solves power problem for about same weight as phone itself. i admit i try not to hunt backcountry when its -10, does it sometime happen yes but VERY seldom for me in wyoming where i usually hunt plus my phone is in a shirt pocket and has never shutdown on me. i always carry a laminated paper map and small emergency compass regardless. i seldom use my GPS to actually navigate for long periods of time as i have a good sense of direction and typically use landmarks to keep my track, GPS just verifies it when i am in timber or when walking in dark. The touch screen argument is valid, but some GPS unit also have touchscreens so i bet they to have that problem. i am just trying to help you guys understand: i bet if you took time and learned how to use phone efficiently you would be very surprised at its capabilities and save a few ounces also...

Last edited:
I have used a gps in the field for several years now. I will not go hunting without it. For what I want out of a gps I cannot get that out of a phone. Waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

For what I want out of a gps I cannot get that out of a phone. Waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

wrong, my phone does that! FREE!!! this is what i keep saying, do some research you will be surprised at capabilities...

Last edited:
That goes without saying, amigo. The point here is that cell phone functionality in cold and/or wet weather is not reliable when compared to an actual GPS unit. Your cell phone not working in the cold or wet means that not only is your phone not working, your cell phone GPS receiver is dead. Smart phone GPS is irrelevant when it's too cold for your phone to function.

Phones do not have to have service to function as a GPS. Smart phones have a built in GPS receivers but if as you say your phone does not have a touch screen it may be an older unit without some features.

I agree as well. Used my Galaxy S4 for the last couple years now, even on a Montana day that had a high of 10F and in airplane mode one battery lasted all day. I carry a spare battery pack or a USB charger. Lots of good programs out there that work with the phone such as Onxmaps and others. My GPS comes along on a trip but stays in the truck as a backup. The Smartphone isn't quite as easy as a stand alone GPS but if you are a techno guy in the least bit you can get by. Tracks, waypoints, photos, hell I can even name my waypoints by talking to the darn thing. One downside is if it is really cold, you have only the touch screen to use as operation buttons and that means taking off your glove. I have also mastered being able to use the tip of my nose for screen button pushings:D so I can keep my glove on!

Last edited:
That goes without saying, amigo. The point here is that cell phone functionality in cold and/or wet weather is not reliable when compared to an actual GPS unit. Your cell phone not working in the cold or wet means that not only is your phone not working, your cell phone GPS receiver is dead. Smart phone GPS is irrelevant when it's too cold for your phone to function.

Actually it is a common misconception that many people don't understand.

I don't know what kind of phone you have had in the past but I am not aware of any reason a GPS will work at a lower temp than a phone. They both use lithium ion batteries so the performance should be similar. Here is something I ran across that explains it.
http://toolguyd.com/flashlight-tool-batteries-cold-weather/
I guess you could say they are not as good in wet conditions but some phones are rated for wet conditions and something like an otter box can sure make them durable and weather proof.

To be honest my handheld GPS is terrible during cold weather because I don't typically have lithium batteries in it and alkaline batteries stop working way before lithium batteries.

At the end of the day your phone will do just about everything a GPS will do and a whole lot more. That is why they are slowly becoming obsolete.

A Shrinking Garmin Navigates the Smartphone Storm
Smartphones are digital “Swiss Army knives” that do just about everything. Can the world’s leading GPS company survive?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/511786/a-shrinking-garmin-navigates-the-smartphone-storm/

Have Smartphones Made the Handheld GPS Obsolete?
 Smartphones are quickly replacing Handheld GPS on Adventure Bikes.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/have-smartphones-made-the-handheld-gps-obsolete/

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/experts/ask-kristin/real-gps-unit-vs-smartphone-gps-apps/

I agree as well. Used my Galaxy S4 for the last couple years now, even on a Montana day that had a high of 10F and in airplane mode one battery lasted all day. I carry a spare battery pack or a USB charger. Lots of good programs out there that work with the phone such as Onxmaps and others. My GPS comes along on a trip but stays in the truck as a backup. The Smartphone isn't quite as easy as a stand alone GPS but if you are a techno guy in the least bit you can get by. Tracks, waypoints, photos, hell I can even name my waypoints by talking to the darn thing. One downside is if it is really cold, you have only the touch screen to use as operation buttons and that means taking off your glove. I have also mastered being able to use the tip of my nose for screen button pushings:D so I can keep my glove on!

I guess I can see an advantage for a GPS with buttons. Seems like many GPS units use touch screens though, I know my old dakota 20 is. Now when I go try to use it I realize what a piece of junk it is compared to my I phone.

That is an interesting trick using your nose. I know some gloves manufacturers put a special fingertip on gloves so you can still use the touchscreen.

When a smartphone gps app has a pc front end, I'll be interested. Until then, they lack the basic functionality that I require. Picking tiles on a 2" phone screen to download isn't an activity I'll be doing any time soon.

I don' think where I'm coming from is based on misconception so much as it is based on a significant bit of backcountry field experience combined with a lot of modern technology. Cell/smart phones are fragile creatures prone to easy deaths in the backcountry. They are constructed with thin housing and screens that turn brittle and break rather easily - even when contained in the likes of an Otterbox or Lifeproof case. To my point, one of the articles you posted in your response ( the www.advpulse.com piece) speaks to exactly what I am saying in terms of the handheld GPS device being superior in terms of durability and having a longer battery life with prolonged use. When I'm headed into the backcountry for 10+ days you had better believe I am taking the more durable and efficient device in as a first choice and the less durable device as a backup. Cell phones are great for short hunts, there's no doubting that. Combined with their overall technological capabilities and recharging capabilities from some of the solar chargers on the market, they can be downright tantalizing to rely on. But, they are in my experience, a fair weather technology with limited durability that equates into limited reliability in the field. GPS units have their technological shortfalls, but they make up for it in terms of backcountry durability and reliability.

I recommend carrying both a GPS device and a cellular/smartphone with quality mapping software into the field as well as a map and compass. Remember, Murphy is always lurking...
Cody

Now this is a backpacker.com article that has recently had my mountaineering and hunting amigos in stitches...
http://www.backpacker.com/skills/three-things-you-need-to-know-to-take-your-cat-hiking/

Actually it is a common misconception that many people don't understand.

I don't know what kind of phone you have had in the past but I am not aware of any reason a GPS will work at a lower temp than a phone. They both use lithium ion batteries so the performance should be similar. Here is something I ran across that explains it.
http://toolguyd.com/flashlight-tool-batteries-cold-weather/
I guess you could say they are not as good in wet conditions but some phones are rated for wet conditions and something like an otter box can sure make them durable and weather proof.

To be honest my handheld GPS is terrible during cold weather because I don't typically have lithium batteries in it and alkaline batteries stop working way before lithium batteries.

At the end of the day your phone will do just about everything a GPS will do and a whole lot more. That is why they are slowly becoming obsolete.

A Shrinking Garmin Navigates the Smartphone Storm
Smartphones are digital “Swiss Army knives” that do just about everything. Can the world’s leading GPS company survive?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/511786/a-shrinking-garmin-navigates-the-smartphone-storm/

Have Smartphones Made the Handheld GPS Obsolete?
 Smartphones are quickly replacing Handheld GPS on Adventure Bikes.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/have-smartphones-made-the-handheld-gps-obsolete/

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/experts/ask-kristin/real-gps-unit-vs-smartphone-gps-apps/

When a smartphone gps app has a pc front end, I'll be interested. Until then, they lack the basic functionality that I require. Picking tiles on a 2" phone screen to download isn't an activity I'll be doing any time soon.

2" screen?? now that's funny. You are behind the times Bob. My screen is close to 6inches and the resolution is far better than any GPS. My Topo's and Sat images are crystal clear.

I don' think where I'm coming from is based on misconception so much as it is based on a significant bit of backcountry field experience combined with a lot of modern technology. Cell/smart phones are fragile creatures prone to easy deaths in the backcountry. They are constructed with thin housing and screens that turn brittle and break rather easily - even when contained in the likes of an Otterbox or Lifeproof case. To my point, one of the articles you posted in your response ( the www.advpulse.com piece) speaks to exactly what I am saying in terms of the handheld GPS device being superior in terms of durability and having a longer battery life with prolonged use. When I'm headed into the backcountry for 10+ days you had better believe I am taking the more durable and efficient device in as a first choice and the less durable device as a backup. Cell phones are great for short hunts, there's no doubting that. Combined with their overall technological capabilities and recharging capabilities from some of the solar chargers on the market, they can be downright tantalizing to rely on. But, they are in my experience, a fair weather technology with limited durability that equates into limited reliability in the field. GPS units have their technological shortfalls, but they make up for it in terms of backcountry durability and reliability.

I recommend carrying both a GPS device and a cellular/smartphone with quality mapping software into the field as well as a map and compass. Remember, Murphy is always lurking...
Cody

Now this is a backpacker.com article that has recently had my mountaineering and hunting amigos in stitches...
http://www.backpacker.com/skills/three-things-you-need-to-know-to-take-your-cat-hiking/

Take your cat hiking?? Holy crap that is funny. Thanks for sharing.

OK 2x3 or whatever an Iphone is. You're still picking tiles from the phone, which I'm not doing.
My peeve isn't clarity, it's the content and how it gets to the devise.

64_zps228bce9b.png

140_zps328364e6.png

Back