Choosing packs

I'll put in another plug for the MR Metcalf. It pretty much does it all. I think it's empty weight is a little heavy, but it is certainly one sturdy pack. Tear-resistant, water-resistant, adjustable to just about any build. I think mine cost around $400, but I've put hard use to it but you sure couldn't tell. May last forever.

I just picked up a MR Marshall in the last month. I love it and the amount of storage on the pack is amazing, you can really organize everything to make it efficient. The pack also tightens down a great deal to become pretty small when you need it that way, and things come off the back as well like the top to get it pretty small. I chose it over the metcalf to some week long hunts, I'm not the most ultralight person, and everyone told me the metcalf is ideal for 3-5 days...but if you can get more out of it, more power to you. Also the load-shelf is something I couldn't imagine going without.
Also I know this pack isn't cheap, but don't believe the whole "exo and kifaru are way better packs." They use the same grade materials, zippers, and buckles. The biggest thing is correctly fitting your pack, and not just adjusting the belt. Its a lot of trial and era, good luck.

I’m not a backpack expert but this video helps see all different brands.

Geetar: Thanks for posting that YouTube link. I watched this, and this was, WOW, eye opening for sure. Points to why MR has such a reputation.

I do not have experience with the badlands packs but I do have a MR Metcalf and I've carried up to 100 lbs with it and it didn't seem like it was 100 lbs. Very adjustable and reliable. I have used MR in the military and my Metcalf and they are the best that I've used so far. I have been interested in researching Kifaru and their line of packs. I've met a few hunters that love those just as much as I love my Metcalf.

Exo Mtn Gear also makes some great packs. I use Exo Mtn K3 and my friend uses the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. You can't go wrong with either.

Mystery Ranch makes a great pack, per the above poll there a quite a few packs great pack makers.

If your just getting into backpack hunting a decent option is a good used backpacking pack, due to their larger market share there are more of these packs on ebay than hunting brands.

Something like this is going to server you much better than one of the crappy hunting brand packs.

View attachment 123167

To add to this post. Dana Design was started by Dana Gleason. He sold the company and later started Mystery Ranch. Similar to Patrick Smith and Mountainsmith/Kifaru. I have no experience with Badlands but I looked straight past them. I looked at Kifaru and Mystery Ranch when I was looking to get a pack. Went Kifaru because MR was out of stock and I found a good deal on a Kifaru Timberline bag. Kifaru is right up the road from where I lived in Colorado so I went up there and got fitted for a frame. I now have a Quarter Panel to go along with the bag. It's perfect for hauling meat and training with a sandbag.

I am looking for a good day pack/ couple night pack. I am choosing between Badlands Ascend or mystery ranch in the Marshall or Metcalf. Any recommendations? I am leaning towards mystery ranch

This past off season, I was looking for exactly what you describe. After a lot of reviews and thinking I settled on Seek Outside's Peregrine pack over all others. I recently received it and have not yet used, it but it seems to be everything I had hoped for.

I thought this review (and the entire review process that this was part of) was especially helpful. Thanks to whomever pointed me at it.

See also

since I have yet to make mine sweaty and bloody, I won't go any further.

Since this thread was started MR has developed some bag only offerings so that would help a user that wanted a quality day pack with meat hauling capabilities and a larger bag for more days out. Looks like they have buckles so you can more easily swap bags with the different frames.

Back