Choosing packs

I am looking for a good day pack/ couple night pack. I am choosing between Badlands Ascend or mystery ranch in the Marshall or Metcalf. Any recommendations? I am leaning towards mystery ranch

If you truly mean you want a good one, the answer's already made between those two. MR by a mile.

Badlands are cheaply made, and the one I had didn't fit well. There is no comparison between a MR and a Badlands. One is a cheap POS that will hobble you, and the other is bulletproof. As a matter of fact it cost me $10 to sell the BL pack I had after I paid for shipping.

Don't buy either and just get a used Osprey/Kelty/Gregory and use it for a couple years. If you decide backpack hunting is for you then you'll be more qualified to ask about a better comparison.

MR Metcalf. The Marshall you might have issues compressing enough for a day pack. The metcalf will handle multiple days. You can always buy the Marshall bag later and swap it out with your frame.

I am a Badlands fan, but unfortunately, these guys are right. I have a Badlands 2200 I use for day trips and whitetail hunting and I love it. Comfortable and well thought out for that purpose; however, I loaded it up with a couple quarters to save a trip last year and I thought I was going to die before I got back to the cabin to get a meat hauler. They have released a new line of separate frames and packs that look great and are well reviewed, however, for less money you could get a comparable MR.

BTW, if you want an ascent pack for a day pack, badlands is having their 12 days of christmas sale and you can pick one up for $125.

BTW, if you want an ascent pack for a day pack, badlands is having their 12 days of christmas sale and you can pick one up for $125.
I bought an ascent for $400 but I took it back. I will get a mystery ranch when I want another pack

I enjoy the Mystery Ranch Selway. It's not only a great hunting pack because of the load shelf, but it is also light enough to be a backpacking option. It Carries heavy loads with ease and has plenty of room for a 3-5 day trip. It is much more expensive than the Badlands though.

I bought an ascent for $400 but I took it back. I will get a mystery ranch when I want another pack

Mystery Ranch makes a great pack, per the above poll there a quite a few packs great pack makers.

If your just getting into backpack hunting a decent option is a good used backpacking pack, due to their larger market share there are more of these packs on ebay than hunting brands.

Something like this is going to server you much better than one of the crappy hunting brand packs.

1576708551868.png

Mystery Ranch makes a great pack, per the above poll there a quite a few packs great pack makers.

If your just getting into backpack hunting a decent option is a good used backpacking pack, due to their larger market share there are more of these packs on ebay than hunting brands.

Something like this is going to server you much better than one of the crappy hunting brand packs.

View attachment 123167
Until recently mountaineering gear was leaps and bounds ahead of hunting gear brands. Actually, they still are in many aspects. We’ve finally made it to the point where we have some great options with packs. I agree with a pack like this 100% if your just testing the waters.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back