Yeti GOBOX Collection

Choke point

sschultz

If I'm lucky enough to get drawn in MT the ranch I will be hunting for mulies has a choke point where the deer come out of hills to feed in the alfalfa. My question is are the deer more wary before they go into the choke point or after. I will be bow hunting out of a ground blind.

IMHO any deer or elk is always wary at least until they are out in an open expanse to feed where they can see a long way for predators. If the blind is up for a long time, they will probably be a lot less sensitive when they come through that "choke" area. Is the blind one you'll be putting up when you get there or is it a permanent blind. If it's one you put up for a short period of time while you're there for your hunt, my guess is that the deer will be a lot more wary than say a turkey since blinds very seldom ever bother them even if they aren't there all the time. IMHO deer are quite different in that respect.

So it sounds like you're saying it's a temporary blind that is not going to be up well before you hunt for the deer to get used to it. If that's the case, I would probably put it up right at the beginning of the choke point if there is enough cover to brush it in good and make it as inconspicuous as you can since the closer you would put it to the open field the more wary they might be since they are running out of cover as they get closer to the alfalfa field. JMO

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back