Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Choices

Bullshot

Turning 45 in a couple of weeks and reflecting on the opportunities ahead. I’m probably midway or more through my hunting career, arguably with some of my best abilities already behind me but probably some of my best quality hunts still ahead. I’ve had a few very desirable tags so far, each a ton of fun. In all cases, my “trophy” quality severely (very severely, ha ha) underperformed the unit’s potential each time - DIY is tough on always new ground, especially coming from the east! But I’ve brought home a bull or buck or cow or doe most trips and I wouldn’t trade any of the experiences. I am limited to one trip a year (many years over the past 20+ I’ve done exactly none) and lately it seems evident (even with many more years hopefully to do it) that I’ll probably never draw those one or two hunts I most desperately want to, but also that I’ll never burn all my different points or run out of things to do so long as nonresident opportunities remain. For 2021, I have the choice of putting in for a top antelope hunt, a Wyoming general elk, other low-point draws, possibly a leftover, or any of the several OTC options. Lightning could strike on a low odds lottery application too, who knows. I guess I am just sharing this to keep in perspective how thankful I am to have these opportunities, and to demonstrate to new hunters who ask “is it worth it” for this draw or that, that a multi-faceted approach, long term planning, short term flexibility, and hopefully continued availability of tags and public land has given this guy, and all of you, more opportunity, including some great quality, than we could actually hunt in a lifetime if we tried. Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving!

I just posted this for another on the forum looking for info. Wyoming is very good for out of state draws in comparison to other states. This is a very good explanation of Wyoming draws, odds and ideas.

Another really good strategy:

If you have a few hunt partners that just love hunting, love the hunt, love the company and don't need to be the one to pull the trigger or sling the arrow. Apply, apply apply for every and all out of state hunts you may want to go on. One of you is bound to get lucky. If one of you draws, all of you (two three, even 4) all share the cost of the tag, cost of travel, experience and the meat. This is a great strategy for retirees on a fixed income and can really increase your chances of "being on a hunt" regardless of whether you are the shooter or not. If having to pull the trigger or sling the arrow is a must then obviously this won't be of interest but my long time partner and I have done 3 Idaho big bull hunts on this strategy over the years and it's really saved us a ton of money. We hunt together all the time anyway, almost always share in the experience and the meat so why pay for two, 3 or 4 tags when you can split the cost of one and both go on the hunt. Obviously the tag holder is the shooter but for me its about the hunt, not the 1 sec it requires to pull a trigger or sling an arrow. I have also always been a meat hunter so trophy's are not a consideration in my personal case.

On a budget its a really good way to get in some really quality time in the field with some of your favorite hunt buddies as long as all are in the same mindset and willing to take the time. Obviously it's easier for those of us who don't have to worry much about time & on a fixed income (retirees).

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back