Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Chile rellenos

Gellar

I followed this recipe from hunttoeat. https://hunttoeat.com/wild-food/recipes/mexican-fox-squirrel-chile-rellenos/
Except we don’t have Mexican squirrels in Iowa. So I used rabbit braised in wild turkey stock and jalapeños. I have never made them before and was unsure about the egg white batter. Turns out I suck at it. If anyone has tips on how to get it to stick better I would be happy to hear how. Otherwise they turned out very tasty.

Peppers all stuffed and closed with a toothpick.
1631211463506.jpeg

Ready to eat.
1631211531790.jpeg

did you pat the chilies dry, dip them in the flour, then whipped eggs (whites first then add yolk), and repeat that again?

You can also put some egg mixture on the rellenos when they are in the oil, to add to it.

did you pat the chilies dry, dip them in the flour, then whipped eggs (whites first then add yolk), and repeat that again?

You can also put some egg mixture on the rellenos when they are in the oil, to add to it.
I let the peppers sit out on paper towels for about 30 minutes. I beat 4 egg whites and added 3 yolks back in with a ttablespoon of flour. I will try dredging in flour next time before the egg wash.
The sauce was something my wife made. I know it had Serrano pepper, jalepeno, tomatoe, tomatoe paste, lime, green onion, and garlic. She just pulsed it real fine in the food processor. It was very good. She thought it was to spicy but I thought it was perfect.

I let the peppers sit out on paper towels for about 30 minutes. I beat 4 egg whites and added 3 yolks back in with a ttablespoon of flour. I will try dredging in flour next time before the egg wash.
The sauce was something my wife made. I know it had Serrano pepper, jalepeno, tomatoe, tomatoe paste, lime, green onion, and garlic. She just pulsed it real fine in the food processor. It was very good. She thought it was to spicy but I thought it was perfect.
It looks amazing. A gently balanced sauce is really the crowning glory of a well done chile relleno, IMO. Heavy sauce like enchilada sauce is just too over powering for the full spectrum of flavors in a CR.

Kudos to her.

We've always made them with roasted Hatch chilis. Poblanos are good too but the batter sticks better to roasted ones without the shiny skin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back