Caribou Gear

Children lower gear for out west

williaada

Will be headed to WY this Friday with my children to try our hand on elk. We are well versed in being outside and in cold temps since we do a lot of ice fishing. My question for those who take children out for hunt in the mountains and hike around are snow pants advised or should I be looking at different pants? Then use snow pants like puffed?

Will be headed to WY this Friday with my children to try our hand on elk. We are well versed in being outside and in cold temps since we do a lot of ice fishing. My question for those who take children out for hunt in the mountains and hike around are snow pants advised or should I be looking at different pants? Then use snow pants like puffed?
Better bring everything you got brother! 🥴😖
45mph winds to add to this mess.
EA3523A2-0C94-40AA-BDEB-B6E6EFE7DA1E.png

Snow pants work great as long as you aren't doing a ton of hiking. They are heavy and will make you sweat.

It all depends on what you are going to be doing. I've skied in some pretty low temperatures and if you are active and moving you can stay warm pretty easy. It's when you get to sitting for extended periods of time that you can get cold. Wind with blowing snow can be a deal breaker for some, scarves and some eye protection are a big help there. Good mittens and warm boots go a long way too.

Specifically on pants I wouldn't walk in snow pants very far. A good base layer with a durable somewhat water repellent pant (i.e. not cotton jeans) will work if you are moving. Maybe bring the snow pants for if they do any sitting.

Specifically on pants I wouldn't walk in snow pants very far. A good base layer with a durable somewhat water repellent pant (i.e. not cotton jeans) will work if you are moving. Maybe bring the snow pants for if they do any sitting.
I think based on based experiences I might bring the rain pants used with wool base layers.

Do not think there will be much hiking and glassing. No sense in messing around with the temp abs wind chill.

Not getting wet and staying dry a top priority for being comfortable. Taking extras of all clothing items would be a top priority, then layering clothing as well. Feet and hands, again, keeping the hands and feet dry is going to help a bunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back