Chest Waders for Waterfowl

I have struggled with this one. I am an avid Buy American guy but respect basic finances. For warmer weather I could not afford Simms. So I bought USIA waders. They are super tough and have worked great for warm weather fishing and early season hunting. For late season at least here in MT I want neoprene 3.5 to 5 mils thick. I have not found an American made one. Also I want armoring on the knees for cut resistance when walking and jump shooting. I regularly hunt in temps below zero and nothing works like neoprene but you will sweat on long walks jump shooting! Buy what fits and they will last 3-5 years depending on the action. I used stocking foot waders for many years but they suck when you are changing in and out of waders at below freezing temps!
I will second the above. USIA will be my next pair of waders, high quality and rebuildable.
For neoprene, they are all about the same anymore. I sale shop "decent" brands and try to find off-season sales. The boots always crack for me, so I've been trying to treat the boots on my latest pair to hopefully prevent dry rot cracking.

I wear breathable stocking feet (Simms Freestone Toray Stocking-Foot Waders for Men) $250.
I like these because I hunt out of a remote camp and I turn them inside out once back in camp.
They are dry by the next morning.

For super cold Alaska hunts, I wear a cheap pair of breathable bootfoot size 15 waders with
a pair of neoprene stocking foot hippers inside them. Once again, back at camp I turn the
neoprene hip waders inside out to dry by the next morning. If is is super cold,
the neoprene stocking foot hip waders spend the night in my sleeping bag and I
put a couple chemical hand warmers in the boot foot waders while I'm getting ready with the boat.
View attachment 244639

Neoprene are just more comfortable and warmer for me. It seems like the boots are always higher quality and more insulated than breathables, and my feet are the first thing to get cold.

I will second the above. USIA will be my next pair of waders, high quality and rebuildable.
For neoprene, they are all about the same anymore. I sale shop "decent" brands and try to find off-season sales. The boots always crack for me, so I've been trying to treat the boots on my latest pair to hopefully prevent dry rot cracking.
I believe USIA has permanently closed.

I've used Tidwe neoprene for the last few seasons. No leaks yet. I hunt cattail sloughs so not a ton of stuff for them to snag on. My next pair, I will try on before I buy, as the boots on these are way too big for me. I should have returned them for a smaller size. I have a friend who got the Rogers breathable with the zip out liner and he loves them.
I hunted with a guy who had the Rogers breathable ones and he really liked them.

Cabelas have always worked for me. I've tried on different brands, but none were very comfortable. Been hunting with Cabelas gear for 15 years with no issues other than normal wear and tear. I bought my first pair of waders before they merged with Bass Pro. My second pair I bought a few years ago after they got their quality issues sorted out. I think they were only $250. I wouldn't spend much more than that for waders. Not sure what they're going for these days. I like lightweight waders, I get way too hot in neoprene.
I have the Cabelas brand for 3-4 years I think and they've been pretty good. Not without leaks but pretty good for the amount of walking I do. I am thinking hard about breathable waders next go around. Mainly because I get hot and sweat easily but I also realize the walking contributes to that. Even if it's 40 degrees I'll walk in with just a shirt on so I don't sweat too much.

I have the Patagonia pants style waders for fishing. If your not going in crazy deep I would highly recommend. Much more comfortable than the classic chest waders and if it's not freezing much easier to stay cool.

Had a pair of Lacrosse neoprenes that finally gave out at the end of last season after 7 or 8 years. Went with breathable Frogg Toggs Grand Refuge with the zip out liner as replacements because I do a lot of walking and have been pleased the handful of times I’ve had them out so far. As others have said I’ve got a friend who has the Rogers breathables and he raves about them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back