Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Check your bear spray if you got it from Costco. UDAP brand.

I saw this and its flat out miserable! So it full tilt sprayed!!! I thought it was supposed to work like the new spray sun screen.

Holy sheit! It burns like holy hell!

On a serious note. Good post. I told my wife my can was from 2008 or so. She bought this two pack from Costco. I'll have to test it out.

One word of advice LOL...no scratchin the jewels after you been playing around with bear spray LOL. You might think you didn't have any residue on you until you do that.

One word of advice LOL...no scratchin the jewels after you been playing around with bear spray LOL. You might think you didn't have any residue on you until you do that.
Haha! Many, MANY... years ago during academy, we were doused with OC and did our dance with the Red Man. Once we were cleared to privately decon, even though the instructors advised us not to shower until soap scrub, leaning over a sink, and rinsing repeatedly... many went straight to the locker room shower. Haha! Completely off subject though funny as heck memory you brought back

Haha! Many, MANY... years ago during academy, we were doused with OC and did our dance with the Red Man. Once we were cleared to privately decon, even though the instructors advised us not to shower until soap scrub, leaning over a sink, and rinsing repeatedly... many went straight to the locker room shower. Haha! Completely off subject though funny as heck memory you brought back
LOL we did similar when we did trainining at MP Battalion at Camp Pendleton. I showered and showered and spent hours in the tub with cold water to try to get Mr Happy to stop burning. Makes for an issue of Randy's dysentery thingie LOL.

Additional info I received in an email 8.20.

FYI, as a follow-up and to make sure you have the latest information, the message from UDAP generated a brief discussion among several of our study team members. NAME REMOVED (NPS-Yellowstone NP) reminded us that recent research indicates that due to head pressure (as measured in a laboratory setting), the first 1-second blast of bear spray uses up about 40-45% of the product and propellant, with the amount of product and pressure of propellant decreasing rapidly with each additional 1-second of spraying. So by giving the can a "test blast", you would be using up your best blast of bear spray (as measured in amount of product and spray distance), and thus your best chance of stopping a bear.

Rather than a test spray, our recommendation would be to replace the bear spray canister altogether (and properly dispose of products with these lot numbers).

FYI, as a follow-up and to make sure you have the latest information, the message from UDAP generated a brief discussion among several of our study team members. NAME REMOVED (NPS-Yellowstone NP) reminded us that recent research indicates that due to head pressure (as measured in a laboratory setting), the first 1-second blast of bear spray uses up about 40-45% of the product and propellant, with the amount of product and pressure of propellant decreasing rapidly with each additional 1-second of spraying. So by giving the can a "test blast", you would be using up your best blast of bear spray (as measured in amount of product and spray distance), and thus your best chance of stopping a bear.

Rather than a test spray, our recommendation would be to replace the bear spray canister altogether (and properly dispose of products with these lot numbers).
Good info,,,,thanks! My wife also picked up the Costco two pack, it will be returned.

This is so true. I kind of chuckled when I saw the term "test spray" used. Once you discharge a can of bear spray, even just a little, it's no good because it is no longer reliable at all. If it's dated then you want to replace it once that date expires. When you dispose of cans of bear spray, you want to carefully dispose of the can according to manufacturer recommendation and whatever your trash disposal company requires. Be careful if you discharge any because it takes only a little bit as I found out to cause some miserable burns especially in sensitive areas like your eyes or groin.

My thought if you want to test your bear spray is to WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES and protective eye gear. Select a can out of the same lot as others you buy. Completely discharge one. The remainder "should" work fine. Not saying this is right or the best way, just a gut feeling if I were going to test it myself.

Chit! Can you imagine the hell you might have to deal with if the griz is coming at you and your hunt partner, you turn the can to spray your partner and the f-n can doesn't spray???

That right there is reason to check its viability...

Chit! Can you imagine the hell you might have to deal with if the griz is coming at you and your hunt partner, you turn the can to spray your partner and the f-n can doesn't spray???

Just recreate the last scene from Jaws...

Imagine the story if that worked lol !

Well, if you discharge a can, the most effective portion of the spray is in the first full second. If you test it by briefly discharging it for a "half second", how do you know what is left? Every bear spray container is tested at the factory with inert gasses. As for field testing, if you have four cans out of same lot and test one which is 25%, considering the required testing by the manufacturer, it is statistically unlikely to have a failure in the field. I did some research and I could not find many reported incidents where a can failed so the odds of a failure are probably more remote. I still carry both a sidearm and bear spray myself when I am in bear country for both black bears and grizzly. I personally do not endorse field testing on your own because most people do not know what they are doing and more often discharge them beyond safe limits. I know from playing with them that they discharge really fast and not a pleasant experience getting any residue on you. You got to know what you are doing before testing these things and even hoping to use them in the field while hunting.

I was thinking this when everyone was saying giving it a test spray.

If a manufacturer sends out a warning that they possibly won't work, and to test them, I'm throwing the cans away if they do not offer to replace them.

If a manufacturer sends out a warning that they possibly won't work, and to test them, I'm throwing the cans away if they do not offer to replace them.
Now this is smart. "Testing them" by discharging a half second is not good practice. I would discharge them completely then put them in the trash and get new ones from a different lot.

I returned mine to Costco last week. No problem at all with them taking them back. The clerk even knew right where the display was so i could get my replacement

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back