Caribou Gear Tarp

Chassis Recommendation

BackofBeyond

I’m considering trying out a chassis system for my Rem 700 .300 RUM. It’s got the stock SPS barrel for now, but will likely upgrade as want/need changes.

I’m thinking chassis because it wouldn’t hurt my feeling to add some weight to the rifle, and I really dislike the Tupperware SPS stock it came with. Also, a chassis would leave me room to change the barrel profile in the future if I wanted.

I’d like to keep the budget under $800 if possible. Any recommendations?

I don't have any personal experience with it but if read many good reviews of the MDT XRS chassis. Its a bit too heavy for my taste at 3.9lbs, but for the price point of $550 seems like a good choice. If you don't care about the chassis accepting AICS pattern mags, the McMillan makes some excellent options between $500-800.

I have a Choate Ultimate Varmint. Not sure if you'd call it a chassis, or a stock.
Heavy! But solid!
Wife's Savage 110FP in 223 weighs 14lbs with the Choate.

I had a KRG Bravo on a Tikka CTR for a bit. It was fun and tough to beat for the money. @Carl uses MPA I believe.

I’ve avoided the metal ones for hunting just because they don’t seem like they’d be fun to carry/hold. The bravo is a gem, fits me great.

I have a MPA chassis on my 20# gamer gun. I like it. They have a lower feature version that’s lighter but should fit the budget? I don’t think the XLR element would come in under $800 with the lightweight carbon stock/grip but maybe with some of the heavier non-folder stocks.

For a boomer like that I’d like to try that new manners pro hunter or the new micky game warden 2.0. Gunwerks magnus is tough to beat too. I don’t think any of those would be under $800 though.

Last edited:
I also like the KRG Bravo, I have 2 and based on price and application they work great. Another one to consider that is on the lower price end is the Magpul hunter. I have one for a 308 and it just works equally as well. I put a full length area 419 ARCA rail on the bottom of it and balances well and is easy to shoot off a tripod.

I just got my first Bravo Thursday, really like it so far. When considering the price point, modularity, and ergo's, it's pretty easy to recommend. Doesn't feel as bougie as the higher dollar stuff, but that's kinda low on my list of concerns.

Can't speak to the boomers, I don't think I've used anything over 6mm since fall of 2019.

Still appreciate my MPA's for gamer gun applications, but I don't think they'd be my choice for a boomer, despite my relatively limited experience.

Last edited:
I am a dissenting opinion here. I have used the Bravo as a hunting chassis and personally just don't like it. It feels like an oar to me. I use the MasterPiece Arms Ultra Lite for 3 of my rifles (30 Nosler, 270ss and 6mm Creedmoor). I absolutely love them. I do not recommend getting the folding adapter (it puts you above the $$ point as well as adds a pound to the chassis). Its a 2.5 pound chassis, which to me is a great weight for $750-$800 price tag from Eurooptics.

Cut off the man bun and go lighter. Peak 44 Bastion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back