Chainsaw On Wheels

COEngineer

I have a friend that is working with the county/state/feds to improve the wildlife habitat on his property. Most of what they want him to do is thin the pine trees on about 8 acres of his property. The instructions they gave him (to qualify for grants) was to remove all dead trees and all pines with trunks smaller than 6" diameter. He is getting up there in years, so crawling around on his knees or bending over with a chainsaw to selectively cut the small pines is proving a daunting task. We went up and helped last year, and even for us younger folks, it's back-breaking work.

So, I was trying to find a tool that would make this work easier, and I found this "chainsaw caddie" but can't find anyone who sells it: Chainsaw Caddie

I also found a DR trimmer/mower attachment, but it can only cut up to 3" diameter: DR Trimmer/Mower Attachment

Anyone have any ideas or products that would help?

I use a husqvarna 545 brush cutter. Comes with harness so not bad on the back compared to using a saw. Do some research, but using a brushcutter on up to 3" pines should be ok. It also seems easy on fuel (at least compared to a chainsaw).

On thing with the brushcutter is it's somewhat difficult to maneuver if you're in a tight space, or on sloped ground (though the harness has "grass" and "forest" level settings which helps).

Yea, the masticator would be great. My friend has some heavy equipment, but I'm not sure how much he would be willing to invest for this project. Maybe he can rent one??

If he has to remove all the trees to qualify for grants what will the grants pay for? If Tree removal is part of their Tsi plan I’d think he’d at least be able to get some cost share.

I just got 6k to remove all trees and that were not oak, walnut, or Whit pine and spray for invasive species on a 11 acre of native white pines we have. The forester originally thought it would be cost share but he made a phone call and got the whole thing paid for.

How about renting an excavator with a thumb? Plucking a 6” pine shouldn’t take a very large machine. if you have an experienced operator it can go pretty fast.

Masticator or one of the articulating tree removers that have the masticators on it.
Check with state agencies that pair up private parties with the equipment. State Forestry?
I do know the masticators do more good than bad on soils.
I think Randy had a episode on range restoration in AZ using a masticator.

Seems to me like your in a lumber state. Seems like they could help in the problems logging created.
Try the universities too. Ag extensions.

I have been searching to find a place to rent one of these. Not super easy....
I have been also. I think when it comes down to it, the cost to rent vs. the cost to just hire someone to do it for you isn't going to be a lot different. Especially if they are good they can get a lot more done in the same amount of time than you could with the learning curve to run it well.

Depending on how much you have to get done, an option that I'm considering is buying a decent used one and keeping it for a summer then selling it after I'm done with it.

I have been also. I think when it comes down to it, the cost to rent vs. the cost to just hire someone to do it for you isn't going to be a lot different. Especially if they are good they can get a lot more done in the same amount of time than you could with the learning curve to run it well.

Depending on how much you have to get done, an option that I'm considering is buying a decent used one and keeping it for a summer then selling it after I'm done with it.

Yep.

@MinnesotaHunter - I called looking to rent a skidsteer/forestry mulcher combo last spring and with them mobilizing it in/out I was looking at about $5k/week + fuel and any maint or damage repair from hitting rocks. That was just me as joe blow not having any customer account with equipment rental places. I had a mature buckthorn jungle on my home 6 acres. I instead paid a guy $7k to come in and do it and didn't have to take the better part of a week off work or have any risk to wrecking an expensive piece of equipment on my rocky ground. I hired this guy https://quality-landworks.com/ He was less than half the price quoted by another company (i think "wilderness land clearing" was their name.)

Yep.

@MinnesotaHunter - I called looking to rent a skidsteer/forestry mulcher combo last spring and with them mobilizing it in/out I was looking at about $5k/week + fuel and any maint or damage repair from hitting rocks. That was just me as joe blow not having any customer account with equipment rental places. I had a mature buckthorn jungle on my home 6 acres. I instead paid a guy $7k to come in and do it and didn't have to take the better part of a week off work or have any risk to wrecking an expensive piece of equipment on my rocky ground. I hired this guy https://quality-landworks.com/ He was less than half the price quoted by another company (i think "wilderness land clearing" was their name.)
Buckthorn is nasty. I worked for a similar company for a few years in central MN and we kept busy all winter doing buckthorn removal. Don’t skimp on spraying/stump treating. That stuff will return with a vengeance if left untreated after mulching/mowing/cutting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back