Caribou Gear

Central Montana Elk

Elkhuntthemilk

Hi everyone, I'm quite new here, as you can see by my lack of history. I'm not looking for anything, really, with this posting other than some general info. I'm happy to provide info on anything that I can here too, so this is not me just joining to dig for your hunting advice. I live and hunt in north-central Montana, district 600, and have fairly in-depth knowledge of 600, 401, and some others up here, so fire away as you'd like. My question is regarding the Missouri Breaks, specifically the lesser-known 417. I'm wanting to start a new elk hunt and see that cows are now general license there (way over objective) and the bull tag is not impossible, as those on the north side and further east are. Has anyone hunted the monument/sw corner of the CMR in this unit? If so, is it a zoo like it seems like it could be, and can you find any elk on the public after opening day? Again, generalities are all I'm interested in here. Thanks, glad to be on here, look forward to visiting with many of you.

way over objective .... yeh and after 1st day they all head to the horse ranch .

This ^^^

If you have access to private, you would probably have a solid hunt.

Thanks for the tip, don't have much access there, so maybe will look elsewhere. There's not much block management up on that end, it appears, to get them kicked off private. Few small parcels. I assume that's why the tag is easier to draw. Too bad, the time I've spent in there it looks like nice country.

Spent a week in there walking miles upon miles two season's ago. Between the two of us we saw zero cows. Like has been said private grabs them quickly I guess. There are reasons why it's easier to draw and over objective. Always a reason

If you can find elk in unit 600, I'm pretty sure you should be able to find them in any central mt unit

If you can find elk in unit 600, I'm pretty sure you should be able to find them in any central mt unit
Ha, true story. I don't find them here often. I know where to find them when they're here, and we've had success, but mostly they spend rifle season in Canada. It's my intent to hunt them harder during archery season; that's the time to shoot elk in 600, IMO.

I had a bull tag there about 8yrs ago, spent 26 days and saw a total of 9 elk that were not on private property. Was very fortunate to find a small bunch the first part of november that had just come off private. They were a total of 3 miles off the road and had to zig-zag around private to get in on them. Wound up killing a nice 6pt bull but nearly killed myself getting him out. In september, on a sunday afternoon I ran into a guy from billings that used to hunt elk in there but now just helps sheep hunters, we talked in the middle of the road for almost 4hrs and never had to move the vehicles for any traffic. Preety lonely when your there by yourself.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back