cds system review

ballplyr6

Hi was possibly going to pick up a vx3hd or a vx5hd. Both comes with a cds dial if you send in your info. was wondering how accurate that dial is and if any of u just use that, I like the idea of it cause it will basically turn the scope almost into a ffp since its a yardage turret.

Yes. Use it on both my rifles but it’s only as accurate as the info you give it.

Change rounds and it could make a big difference at linger ranges. Make sure you have the round you want before cutting dials.

Yes. Use it on both my rifles but it’s only as accurate as the info you give it.

Change rounds and it could make a big difference at linger ranges. Make sure you have the round you want before cutting dials.
This!
My experience has been very positive and dead nuts accurate. Also Leopold sent me a second set for a different load for free when they were slow on orders due to a machine being down! What a stand up company!

1 rifle that I've setup the dial and it's pretty good out 500 yards. My experience is that the CDS without the zero lock is easily manipulated off zero if you haven't ordered a CDS. The zero lock is nice.

My biggest complaint about the lower end CDS is that you get 1 revolution on the dial once you install it. (the VX5 and VX6 line allow for 2 revolutions of the dial) Not that big of a deal if as that should cover 99% of all hunting scenarios but sometimes I like to see if I can hit steel beyond the dial.

Last edited:
1 rifle that I've setup the dial and it's pretty good out 500 yards. My experience is that the CDS without the zero lock is easily manipulated off zero if you haven't ordered a CDS. The zero lock is nice.
100% on this. The scopes I have with the original CDS normal have a couple of wraps of electric tape around them now to ensure inadvertent spinning....

My biggest complaint about the lower end CDS is that you get 1 revolution on the dial once you install it. (the Z5 and Z6 line allow for 2 revolutions of the dial) Not that big of a deal if as that should cover 99% of all hunting scenarios but sometimes I like to see if I can hit steel beyond the dial.
Exactly what he said

I’ve got a VX 5 HD 3-15x44 with the CDS ZL. It tracks true and returns to zero. I left the 1/4” MOA cap on mine. That way it’s not a one trick pony slaved to one load and one set of atmospheric conditions.

I spent a lot of time on longer distance ranges when I lived in Wyoming testing the CDS system. It was a blast to shoot steal out to 700 yards. The CDS was always dead on and returned to zero. I would jump all over the range distances from 200-700 and the CDS stayed true at all distances.

After my testing, I now have CDS system on all my hunting rifles.

My biggest complaint about the lower end CDS is that you get 1 revolution on the dial once you install it. (the VX5 and VX6 line allow for 2 revolutions of the dial) Not that big of a deal if as that should cover 99% of all hunting scenarios but sometimes I like to see if I can hit steel beyond the dial.
The amount of adjustment is also tied to tube diameter. If your low end scope only had a 1" tube that was the biggest reason for less adjustment. A lot of people get misinformed thinking tube diameter has something to do with image quality or light transmission and that is incorrect. Tube diameter is all driven behind adjustment range. Also why I tell people who are not going to turn dials to consider sticking with a 1" tube for $$ and weight.

I have the VX-6HD and three CDS (308 Win); one for target loads, one for a 165 gr trophy bonded tip, and one for a 180 gr Nosler partition. All are accurate out to 800 yds (max my range allows). I can swap dials, re-zero at 200 yds, and I am good to go. They have been repeatable every time. The 6HD has the zero stop which is nice. And if I ever need to, I can always put the original MOA cap back on for a new load.

I put one on a .223 Rem for Praire Dog hunting and really liked it went out and bought two more VX 3i CDS scopes.
But my last scopes I just bought a standard 2.5x8 36mm duplex scope as some big game rifle just don't need CDS.

I have only befell hunting for two years in Colorado. 1st year at 10,500 ft and the second at 6,500 ft. Bagged a buck and a doe respectively.

I have a VX 5 HD 3-15, but have not ordered my CDS caps yet. How do you choose an elevation? All else is pretty straight forward I think.

I have only befell hunting for two years in Colorado. 1st year at 10,500 ft and the second at 6,500 ft. Bagged a buck and a doe respectively.

I have a VX 5 HD 3-15, but have not ordered my CDS caps yet. How do you choose an elevation? All else is pretty straight forward I think.
Your CDS should be good at +/- 2000 ft from what you select as your elevation, even for long-range shots. Thus in your case, 8500 ft would be your number. You should be able to stretch that range a bit if your shots are under 500 yds, probably closer to +/- 3000 ft. In my case, I went with 9000 ft.

The amount of adjustment is also tied to tube diameter. If your low end scope only had a 1" tube that was the biggest reason for less adjustment. A lot of people get misinformed thinking tube diameter has something to do with image quality or light transmission and that is incorrect. Tube diameter is all driven behind adjustment range. Also why I tell people who are not going to turn dials to consider sticking with a 1" tube for $$ and weight.
Whether a larger main tube leads to greater adjustment, greater image quality, or a compromise between the two depends upon what the manufacturer puts inside the main tube. A larger lens inside of a larger erector tube will yield higher image quality, but will take up more space inside the main tube, yielding less adjustment. Increasing the main tube allows you to increase adjustment, imagine quality, or both.

I have a VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS, a VX-5HD 1-5x24 both with Firedots. Leupold also makes a Rec Dot (Freedom RDC w/BDC) that is like the CDS except it’s specifically dialed in for a .223 55gr round accurate out to 400 yds.

The 1-5x24 is on my 45-70, the 3-15x44 is on my 30.06, and the RDC is on my AR-15. I ordered the dial for the 30.06 for BuffaloBore 168gr Barnes TTSX round. Have not finalized on the 45-70 yet.

THEY ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE LEUPOLD. CHRONO YOUR ROUNDS BEFORE SENDING IN CDS COUPON. DO NOT TRUST VELOCITY ON THE BOX

Back