Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

catching up

Erik in AK

Hello all,
Been away for a while and I am digging the improvemnts to Hunt Talk, especially how easy it is to post pics now! I just couldn't get it right before.

That said here is an old pic of me and a good buck I took near Phillipsburg MT in 93. A good friend of mine has a getaway near Rock Creek and invited me to hunt. I had a Non-Res combo tag and could take a deer and and an elk. I hunted hard and covered alot of country but I never got close enough to the elk to see more than a glimpse of tan hide ghosting through the timber ahead of me. I did see a huge whitetail buck after shooting this one, a big Shiras bull and of course Rock Creek is famous for its herd of monster Bighorns.
You Montana boys sure are lucky to live in "The Last Best Place"

Attachments

• 93 Montana buck 005.jpg
    93 Montana buck 005.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 101
Erik,

Sweet buck for that country, there arent a lot of good mule deer in there anymore, and there wasnt many when you killed yours.

My buddy Doug and I used to hunt that Upper Rock Creek country a bit. Dougs Dad killed a hog of a mule deer in there in the late 60's scored over 195 gross.

When we hunted there, it was pretty much shot out.

The biggest mule deer buck we ever killed in there was in 1990 and it isnt much, but a decent buck. We used to hunt up through Flat Gulch, up to Ram Mountain and hunt the divide between Windlass Gulch and Flat Gulch, usually coming out in the dark in Windlass. Hunted up near Fisher Peak quite a bit too, and for several years in a row saw a very old ram in the same slide, just a beast. I'd bet money nobody knew about that ram and that he died of old age, as the last time we saw him was after the sheep season in 1992...he really looked wore out and on his last legs. I was praying either Doug or I would draw a tag or someone we knew would...I'd bet a lot of money that ram was 190+.

Glad you got to enjoy that country...and heres a couple real crappy photos of the buck I killed in there in 1990.

buzzrockcreek.JPG

buzzrockcreek2.JPG

Buzz, (Ithaca too)
Thanks for the words--Its always nice when someone else can relate to a place--I shot that buck in a timbered draw near Scotchman's Gulch. It was early Nov (the 8th I think) and he was in a bachelor group. I didn't see the other bucks until after I shot--there were 5 other just like him in that bunch.

Oh yeah, I went fishing in Rock Creek and caught a couple of nice Browns.

By the way your pics ain't all that bad and it warms my pack-framers heart to see a couple of youngsters packing out a quartered kill--you was raised up right

Cheers
Erik

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back