Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cataracts lens choice?

Islander

Finalizing lens choice for cataracts. My surgeon is suggesting perfect long distance in right (dominant) eye and closer (but not reading close) in the other. He says I'll see well from computer distance to infinity. I understand that I will likely need readers for small print..

He says I won't notice any difference between eyes at distance unless I cover the longer distance eye.

Any thoughts on this choice as a hunter?

Finalizing lens choice for cataracts. My surgeon is suggesting perfect long distance in right (dominant) eye and closer (but not reading close) in the other. He says I'll see well from computer distance to infinity. I understand that I will likely need readers for small print..

He says I won't notice any difference between eyes at distance unless I cover the longer distance eye.

Any thoughts on this choice as a hunter?
My surgeon suggested the same, after I explained that I am a hunter and an outdoors guy, always scouting and looking far distances for wildlife or in appreciation of the views.
It was the right decision for which I am pleased. Readers for small print are not a big deal. Go for it!

My surgeon suggested the same, after I explained that I am a hunter and an outdoors guy, always scouting and looking far distances for wildlife or in appreciation of the views.
It was the right decision for which I am pleased. Readers for small print are not a big deal. Go for it!

Thank you #Straight Arrow. Very much appreciate it. I am used to readers, as I have been using them for 15 years.

I had my done about 10 years ago & can't recall the specifics of which lens did what. But I can tell you, it was the best $195x2 (co-pay) that I've ever spent.

Before the surgery, I had worn bifocal glasses for about 20 years. I had an astigmatism in one eye, as well. Then my cataracts got so bad, I couldn't even read the big green freeway off-ramp signs until I was right on top of them. A week after the 2nd eye was done, I was able to read about any size print without glasses & also see everything at a distance very clear. As a result of the success for me, my wife had both of her eyes done by the same surgeon. Same great result.

It's only recently that we now both use reading glasses for fine print, while our far vision is still good.

Moral: Run, don't walk to get it done. You'll be awed by the difference.

UPDATE: Changed from Vivity to Eyhance lenses.

After initially recommending the Vivity EDOF lenses, my doc changed his mind after I further explained what I like to do. I had feedback from some hunting cataract surgeons that Vivivity might leave me with too little contrast sensitivity (low light visibility) for my lifestyle. I not only hunt game that is best killed at dawn and dusk, but I also night hike, set up camp in the dark, etc. I need to see far away and in low light.

So we are now going with the J&J Eyhance lens, which is technically a monofocal but provides a bit of extended range of focus. We're going to use a very small offset in focal lengths, known as mini-monovision (distance in dominant eye, slightly closer in other eye). I will hopefully be able to see my PC and only need glasses to read paperwork. Most importantly the Eyhance has good contrast sensitivity, which will be very helpful for glassing into shadows, low light spot and stalk, etc. Surgery is a couple of week away. I'll update afterward.

Last edited:
I don’t recall which lens I got, but it changed my world. Now seeing 20/20 or a little better but need cheaters to read my maps. I was 20/400 in my shooting eye before the surgery, best money I ever spent.

I had cataract surgery 3 weeks ago and got the LONG RANGE lens lol. Wow what a difference.

I had cataract surgery 3 weeks ago and got the LONG RANGE lens lol. Wow what a difference.

That's essentially what we are doing, with the weak side set with a very slight myopia. So glad yours is great! I'll report after the 24th.

I would make damn sure you understand the potential side issues of cataract surgery. I had both eyes done maybe 5-6 years ago. I now have severe dry eyes, gelatin build up in the back of the eye and about 70% floater distortion. They took 8 vials of blood this morning to spin out the plasma and have plasma eye drops made. If it works,,, I'll have to do it every 6 months for the rest of my life. If it doesn't then they surgically remove the crap from my eyes and replace with saline. Be aware of the potential side effects.

I went with both long I can see a long way and I love it if you’re going to need readers to read anyway why have your two eyes different?

Good advice. At first I could see like an eagle. I was told that because of astigmatism I would still need glasses so went long distance X2. They were wrong about never needing a new prescription. I need a new one every 2 years.

Both eyes done now. Left eye was done on Tuesday (three days ago) and right eye two weeks ago. All I can say is OMG it's magic. I haven't touched glasses since Tuesday night. I can read my phone and everything from there out. 20/20 distance with right eye and about 20/25 close up with left eye the day after surgery. Left eye is about 20/32 on the eye chart, but it's really meant for close up.

I think I'll need readers in low light with small print (reading in bed or probably reading a map in the field in low light). I can read the book in the photo below under office lighting. Not exactly large print. :)
book.jpg

Last edited:
I would make damn sure you understand the potential side issues of cataract surgery. I had both eyes done maybe 5-6 years ago. I now have severe dry eyes, gelatin build up in the back of the eye and about 70% floater distortion. They took 8 vials of blood this morning to spin out the plasma and have plasma eye drops made. If it works,,, I'll have to do it every 6 months for the rest of my life. If it doesn't then they surgically remove the crap from my eyes and replace with saline. Be aware of the potential side effects.
Well, the long term prognosis for cataracts is blindness or at very least losing driver's license. What choice do we have?

Good advice. At first I could see like an eagle. I was told that because of astigmatism I would still need glasses so went long distance X2. They were wrong about never needing a new prescription. I need a new one every 2 years.
I had cataract surgery back in 2005-06. For a while I required prescription updated every two years but the last six years no change. Your eyes will probably settle down eventually.

Get the UV protectant "blue" lenses. Govt health care here wouldn't pay for that option back then but my surgeon said he wouldn't do it unless I paid for it. I recall it was less than sixty bucks. My brother in Montana just had his first cataract surgery and Medicare wouldn't pick up the tab for that option. It cost him almost $2K! Good old US healthcare! Mike is 71 and diabetic for almost fifty years so UV protection was a must for his fragile retinas. Retinas are also a huge issue for me though I'm not diabetic. Multiple detachments.

Well, the long term prognosis for cataracts is blindness or at very least losing driver's license. What choice do we have?
Thankfully significant side effects are rare, about 1 in 200 (from a 2006 study...current numbers are even lower). That number goes down as the surgeon's experience goes up, so use an experienced surgeon. Advances in technology and carefully pre-screening patients with special issues continues to reduce the rate of complications.

For contrast, in developing countries the risk of significant issues is about 25%, 50+ times higher than in advanced societies.

Last edited:
Update on the Plasma Serum eye drops. It took a while but they work! The pain, redness and irritation are gone. Vision clarity is much better although my right eye is better than left and I'm right eye dominant, left hand shooter.

One of my biggest concerns is loosing my drivers license. My eye chart vision is excellent, 20/20 but it was blurry. It's like looking through an oily fog. The plasma serum drops are clearing it up.

Glad the eyes are coming around. It can be a little scary when dealing with eyes.

I had both eyes done in April/May 2012 just before I retired and off really good health insurance. I opted for being farsighted to provide best option for optics, bow, just day to day convenience if reading street signs easily. I wish we had more discussion to see if UV protection was available back there. But overall the replacement went perfect. When my surgeon pulled wraps off my face and I was coming out if the anesthesia, I looked up and was absolutely stunned I could read the manufacturing label of the light above me! My vision ended up being crazy at much better than 20/20 so thrilled is understatement.

My only recommendation is buy good readers that provide all the protections needed for screen work.

The only wish/complaint I have is I want good sunglasses with readers built in. Hard to find unless I go thru eye doc and without vision insurance bit pricey.

Anybody see any OTC options for decent sunglasses with readers?

Did I just say "see" any options?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back