MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cataracts lens choice?

Thankfully significant side effects are rare, about 1 in 200 (from a 2006 study...current numbers are even lower). That number goes down as the surgeon's experience goes up, so use an experienced surgeon. Advances in technology and carefully pre-screening patients with special issues continues to reduce the rate of complications.

For contrast, in developing countries the risk of significant issues is about 25%, 50+ times higher than in advanced societies.
I know about "special issues." Because my retinas were struggling with the aging process, the surgeons were very reluctant to tackle the cataract in my good right eye. They had to replace the lens in left eye after repeated vitrectomies with gas. The nitrous oxide bubble injected in the eyeball to hold healing detachment in place ruins the lens. For some reason that no one knows, patients who are prone to detachments are more likely to have one after cataract surgery. They waited a year after the third retina surgery before doing left eye cataract. No sense in getting in a hurry as they fully expected I would lose that eye anyway. Had to wait till I almost couldn't drive before replacing the lens in right eye. I've still got both eyes although scar tissue in left eye makes it difficult to discern details. Having depth perception is important. Right eye now has multiple floaters that I would love to have removed. Even the doctors at Mayos say that's out of the question. My retinas are too touchy and sclera (eyeball) is so thin the surgeon could see through it when doing surgery. They all say I'm okay to shoot but I rdecided to retire the 870 goose gun for an auto. Generally, I don't shoot my big game rifle that much.

Glad the eyes are coming around. It can be a little scary when dealing with eyes.

I had both eyes done in April/May 2012 just before I retired and off really good health insurance. I opted for being farsighted to provide best option for optics, bow, just day to day convenience if reading street signs easily. I wish we had more discussion to see if UV protection was available back there. But overall the replacement went perfect. When my surgeon pulled wraps off my face and I was coming out if the anesthesia, I looked up and was absolutely stunned I could read the manufacturing label of the light above me! My vision ended up being crazy at much better than 20/20 so thrilled is understatement.

My only recommendation is buy good readers that provide all the protections needed for screen work.

The only wish/complaint I have is I want good sunglasses with readers built in. Hard to find unless I go thru eye doc and without vision insurance bit pricey.

Anybody see any OTC options for decent sunglasses with readers?

Did I just say "see" any options?
Next time you're in Canada, go see an optometrist. Very cheap even if you're not on our govt healthcare. You can get a bifocal prescription for clear glass distance plus what you need for reading. If you use the computer much consider graduated bifocals.

I don't understand the cost issues? It's you f****g EYES!! I have decent health care subsidized with Medicare but still go to Costco eye Dr. and buy my glasses at a Mom and Pop custom eye care store. I have photo grey glass lenses for my every days, poly for shop or welding, heavy tinted for sunglasses. All of them are bifocals. Even adding up all 3 pairs is less than a good Leopold scope that you only use a few times a year!!

My distance is perfect so my comment was more along it would be convenient to have sunglasses with readers. If I needed prescription, I would pony up like you said its your eyes!

My distance is perfect so my comment was more along it would be convenient to have sunglasses with readers. If I needed prescription, I would pony up like you said its your eyes!

I add stick on cheaters on my fishing sunglasses. I used to add them to my dirt bike goggles, but I can see now after cataract surgery!

They work! Just clean the lenses, wet the stick-ones, and place them on the lens. No glue, but they stay on. Tired of them? Just peel them off. They come in a wide range of diopters.
lenses.jpg

I add stick on cheaters on my fishing sunglasses. I used to add them to my dirt bike goggles, but I can see now after cataract surgery!

They work! Just clean the lenses, wet the stick-ones, and place them on the lens. No glue, but they stay on. Tired of them? Just peel them off. They come in a wide range of diopters.
View attachment 225619
I've never seen anything like that! I wear bifocals but this maybe a better alternative to my poly shop glasses.

I just tried the website on the box and nothing came up. Where did you find them?

Last edited:

View attachment 225619
Helluva idea. Why didn't someone think of that a long time ago? Would also be a great addition to shop/shooting safety glasses. I once ordered prescription amber shooting glasses without the bifocal because that's supposed to be the thing shooters do. Dumb! At the trap range I can't keep score when it's my turn. Something goes wrong with my gun and I can't see to work on it. For shooting glasses just make sure the lenses are big (e.g. aviator style) and bifocal is small ... and no graduated bifocals!

I've never seen anything like that! I wear bifocals but this maybe a better alternative to my poly shop glasses.

I just tried the website on the box and nothing came up. Where did you find them?

I bought these on Amazon but they appear to be discontinued. StikTite and OptX seem to be the current options. They all should work.

I Googled up several different companies selling the same thing. Lee Valley Tools was at the top of the list.

Back