MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cast Your Own?

GoGriz

Is anyone casting their own bullets? I have started to dig into this topic and might try my hand at casting my own so I can continue my path into more obscure calibers. Searching around here I didn’t come across too many threads about people casting their own. I would think maybe @shrapnel and @BrentD need to due to the variety of old guns they shoot? Any pointers from anyone as I start this journey would be greatly appreciated!

I love casting my own, but it’s been a few years since I’ve been able to spend the time doing it.

Alloy type, size, lube, and cooling method are very important items to consider and match up your gun.

Is anyone casting their own bullets? I have started to dig into this topic and might try my hand at casting my own so I can continue my path into more obscure calibers. Searching around here I didn’t come across too many threads about people casting their own. I would think maybe @shrapnel and @BrentD need to due to the variety of old guns they shoot? Any pointers from anyone as I start this journey would be greatly appreciated!
Absolutely, I cast my own. You can't even buy quality cast bullets in my experience.

First, check out the castboolits.com forum. Second, think about what sorts of bullets you want for whatever purposes. Many quality mould makers are out there along with lots of used moulds.

I'm far from my computer for the next few weeks but when I get back I could help a lot more.

Where are you at? Much easier to learning empirically and hands on that via the net (which can provide lots of great details).

Absolutely, I cast my own. You can't even buy quality cast bullets in my experience.

First, check out the castboolits.com forum. Second, think about what sorts of bullets you want for whatever purposes. Many quality mould makers are out there along with lots of used moulds.

I'm far from my computer for the next few weeks but when I get back I could help a lot more.

Where are you at? Much easier to learning empirically and hands on that via the net (which can provide lots of great details).
Thanks Brent! I will check out castboolits. I am floating between south western Montana and California right now. I would love to hear more about your process and any information you have on how you approach bullet selection, mold type and metal composition for some of your older rifles, when you get back. It seems like a fun hobby that one could easily get consumed in!

Could you list the rifle, barrel twist, cartridge, and what you want to shoot at what range and with what type of powder?

From that, we could discuss either general types of bullets you might consider or specific bullets that would work.

As for how to cast, it's super easy, but there are lots of little nuances that really make a difference and a few really important safety issues. If you were somewhere close, it would be worthwhile to visit in person. Finding someone to show you would be super useful.

I used to cast mine for 45 colt, but it’s probably been 10 or so year since the last time I did.

I did mainly for cheaper plinking ammo and when I participated in a few cowboy action shoots. I used lead tire weights, so it definitely wasn’t as technical and in depth as the guys above do it

I am mainly wading into things for my 7-30 waters Marlin 336 (I think it’s a 1:9 twist - if I am incorrect Pham will shame me for not knowing). I also have a few .357 s&w 626s, and a .500 s&w pistol. I am slowly working towards a .357 lever action and then hopefully towards a 25-20 and a 32-20.

I have been looking at a 135 grain from Noe for the Waters, but I guess I don’t know what I don’t know yet. https://noebulletmolds.com/site/sho...135-fn-f1/288-135-fn-f1-4-cavity-gc-7mm-thor/

I started casting my own bullets in 1970 when I bought my first centerfire pistols, a .357 Ruger Blackhawk and a Gov't model 1911 .45 acp. Since then I've expanded my bullet casting for several other pistol calibers up to .44 Magnum, Blackpowder rifle and pistol bullets from .36 up to .54 caliber, 12 ga slugs, and .257, .30, and .375 caliber rifle bullets. My casting records show that I've done 52 casting sessions where I normally cast 2 different caliber bullets at each session and cast a couple hundred to a thousand bullets each session.

In the mid '80s I was competing in Trap and later Skeet and I started making up to 700 pounds of my own #7 1/2 or #8 shot every year. I now just shoot mainly Skeet just for fun and I only make about 500 lbs of #8 shot every couple of years.

Okay, the 7-30 is probably going to require a gas checked bullet above (~1500 fps).

I can guesstimate a max bullet length for if with twist and velocity, but I need to get home to my laptop.

The .357, 25-20, 32-20 could all be grease grooved bullets. I might try to pull you towards the .38-40 or .44-40, but they are all good and all have many bullets to choose from. Today, I was shooting 38-40 (180 gr) at steel from 40-100 meters and a .38-55 (250 gr) from 50-200 meters.

Attachments

• 20230701_141908.jpg
    20230701_141908.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 1
Back